INSTALLING VISTA WITH NO LISCENSE KEY RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can someone from microsoft please confirm or deny that if I was to install vista ultimate on a laptop but not enter a product key, would that have legal implications and would i be commiting fraud of any kind. If i like the product enough I could then buy a liscense key, am I correct?  This would help me immensly if you could get back to me as soon as possible. I work in a retail environment on the technical side and did exactly that and now I face investigations in to piracy.  The customer was aware and if they liked it they were going to buy it. If not then they were going to revert to back to XP. The only reason vista was installed was I am aware at how good it is at finding drivers during installation. XP you have to download then put them in

Paul Furlong

Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:37 PM

Answers

• There is nothing wrong or illegal about installing Windows Vista without a product key and trying it out for 30 days.  After 30 days, you'll need to enter the appropriate product key in order to continue using Vista.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:00 PM
  •   Carey is absolutly correct. In fact, one of the reasons Vista doesn't require a key during install (XP does require a key at install) was so that a user could try Vista out without having to buy a Product Key. In addition, even without a Valid Product key, Vista will still show as Genuine during that 30 day trial/grace period.

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:54 PM

All replies

• There is nothing wrong or illegal about installing Windows Vista without a product key and trying it out for 30 days.  After 30 days, you'll need to enter the appropriate product key in order to continue using Vista.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:00 PM
  •   Carey is absolutly correct. In fact, one of the reasons Vista doesn't require a key during install (XP does require a key at install) was so that a user could try Vista out without having to buy a Product Key. In addition, even without a Valid Product key, Vista will still show as Genuine during that 30 day trial/grace period.

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:54 PM