none
How to repair corrupt file of MS Money 2003?

Question

• I have been using MS Money 2003 on Windows 10 for a few years. Yesterday I found that my Money file could not be opened any more. It shows an error message as "Money has detected that you did not close the file before exiting. Money needs to verify the information in your file...." When verifying the information the program asked to type in the password for the file. I put it in, but again another error message appears saying "The password you entered was incorrect." I am 100% the password is actually correct. When I tried to repair the file by using the utility, salv.exe, it shows an error message, "The utility was unable to successfully salvage your file. The file may be too deeply damaged......" The backup file is corrupted as well. When I tried to restore the backup file, it showed similar error messages. Can anybody please help me to resolve the issue? Thanks!
    • Edited by yzjw Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:15 AM
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:56 PM

All replies

• I am very sorry to hear that. The outlook is not good.

I would install a newer version of Money on a different computer. See what is currently the second post in this forum. See if that can handle your *.mny or *.mbf file. If that works, we can discuss your options.

Also, Money 2003 has a scheduled backup ability. I have my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive. Is it possible that you kept a backup on other media?

Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Cal, Thanks for helping. As you suggested, I downloaded Money Plus Sunset Home and Business on a different computer, but it is not able to open my 2003 .mny file or to restore the .mbf file, or to repair the corrupted files. When using Money 2003, I set the program to backup automatically to a folder on the same computer every time when exiting the program. But this backup file seems to be corrupted as well. Thanks again for your help.

<form action="https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/preferences" class="r-iWkqI99fiS5c" jsl="$t t-y3Vq91bkxp8;$x 0;" method="post"></form>
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 5:53 PM
  • If you decide to continue using Money, Money Sunset has a feature where it keeps the last n backups for the upon-exit backups. It also keeps the last n scheduled backups. I have my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive. For those backups, the filenames include the date and time as part of the filename. The n represents a number that can be up to 99; the default for each is 4.

If you decide to use a password on a new file, use a conventional password.

Also, Money Sunset tries to access some servers that no longer exist. If you tell the Windows firewall to not let the program access the Internet, it can speed things.

If you were to stay with Money 2003, and there are some advantages to that, I know you will review your backup policy, keeping more than one version of backups. You have probably gone through that thinking for all of your important data.

I really wish there was a way to recover your old info. I presume you have already thought about whether you kept a copy of a backup onto other media. You might consider searching your hard drive for any *.mbf files. If you restored a *.mbf file in the past, it keeps an uncompressed *.mbf file. I know the odds of that happening are probably fairly low.  In a command window, you could try this:

dir \*.mbf /s

It will run for a while.

Another possibility is that you switched to an SSD, and that included cloning the old hard drive to the SSD. The cloned hard drive could still have a useful *.mny file on it.

If you download OFX or QFX files from your providers, you can get some data going back for some interval.

Sunday, August 13, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Thank you, Cal, for all your good suggestions!
    Monday, August 14, 2017 4:07 PM
  • I have one more long shot for you. The salv.exe in Money Plus is a little newer than the salv.exe that came with Money 2003. You could try that.

It can be accessed as you did with Money 2003, or you can do this with Money Plus:

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

It does the same as launching salv.exe directly.

This only works on *.mny files and not on *.mbf files.

Monday, August 14, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Maybe a 'false memory' but have some clever people not posted about about using other programmes to inspect the contents of *.mny files? Our distressed colleague would at least be able to scrape out some categories and amounts.

Dr AS

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Maybe a 'false memory' but have some clever people not posted about about using other programmes to inspect the contents of *.mny files? Our distressed colleague would at least be able to scrape out some categories and amounts.

Dr AS

Good point. I don't know that anybody reported getting stuff from such a file, but the program would be sunriise2 or sunrise. Seems worth a try.

See the posts with that in the title, and hleOFXquotes will probably answer questions.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:00 PM