Server Back-up Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have four clients and the WHS on the network. The WHS backs-up all the clients without issue; so how is the server backed-up? Should we running a separate back-up of the server from the server or is that done in the background? Thanks Jack

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:03 AM

Answers

• You can turn on Folder Duplication on all of the shares to back-up your data stored on it.  As for the OS, there is no official way of backing it up.  If the OS drive crashes, you should be able to re-install the OS on a new hard drive without any data loss (again, assuming you have Folder Duplication turned on on all of the shares).  All you would need to do is create the users again, re-install any add-ins and other installed programs, run the connector software on all of the clients again, etc.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:17 AM
  •  JackFeeman wrote:
    Thanks ..... so if I have to reinstall the server OS, the previous client back-ups will automatically be reconnected?

Hi,

The backup and your data will be fine when you reinstall.

In another word, when you reinstall, you will NOT lose your backups or you data.

Only thing, that any addon or custmize issue will be lost, that all.

My best.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:18 AM

All replies

• You can turn on Folder Duplication on all of the shares to back-up your data stored on it.  As for the OS, there is no official way of backing it up.  If the OS drive crashes, you should be able to re-install the OS on a new hard drive without any data loss (again, assuming you have Folder Duplication turned on on all of the shares).  All you would need to do is create the users again, re-install any add-ins and other installed programs, run the connector software on all of the clients again, etc.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:17 AM
  • Thanks ..... so if I have to reinstall the server OS, the previous client back-ups will automatically be reconnected?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:25 AM
  •  JackFeeman wrote:
    Thanks ..... so if I have to reinstall the server OS, the previous client back-ups will automatically be reconnected?

Hi,

In another word, when you reinstall, you will NOT lose your backups or you data.

My best.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Thanks, just wanted to make sure the server was covered. Seems more efficient to include the server in back-ups.

Jack

Sunday, August 12, 2007 1:34 PM
  •  abobader wrote:

Hi,

My best.

Actually, I would have thought it's possible (although not definite) you could lose your PC backups (depending on where they are stored).

For example, let's say you have a ton of stuff on my server (so much so that the only free space is on D on the primary hard drive because the secondary drives are full).  Then you run a backup of a PC.  The only place for that backup to land is on the primary drive.  Now the primary drive fails.  In this case I think the backup would be lost with it....

Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for the additional info. Actually, I just migrated all my past back-ups to a new 1TB USB Hard Drive, so I assume all the back-ups would be stored there.

The addition of such a large drive was very easily installed (less than 5 minutes) however the migration of current back-ups to the new drive took a couple of hours using up less than 105GB leaving tons of space. SInce I use one of my clients solely for 3D modelling and another for DVD creation, the addition of a server, network, and network storage is GREAT and I do not have to worry about back-up storage (for a long while at least).

Only problem now is that the server does not complete the start-up sequence but I think that is because it is trying to boot from the USB drive so I need to try out some options in BIOS to prevent it from doing that.

Jack

Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:10 PM