Can't Backup Encrypted Files RRS feed

• Question

• Live OneCare gives unknown error when I try to back up encrypted files. I had setup encryption on some folders on my computer via Group Policy; but whenever I try to do backup on those folders the backup does not finish and it gives Unknown Error.

I really want to backup the folders and I also don't want to see the Windows Live OneCare With a Yellow Icon, But the most Important thing I don't want to Decrypt my files...

... Is there anybody with a smart idea on how to solve this problem without decrypting the files? 

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:35 PM

Answers

• OneCare can't backup encrypted files to the best of my knowledge.

You'll need to exclude these files (locations/folders) from your backup plan and use an alternate means of backing them up.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:23 AM

All replies

• OneCare can't backup encrypted files to the best of my knowledge.

You'll need to exclude these files (locations/folders) from your backup plan and use an alternate means of backing them up.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:23 AM
  • I don't know for a fact that OneCare STILL doesn't support encrypted files, but that's what I heard a while back from MS when I encountered the same problem.  Very annoying since my entire drive is encrypted. 

I disabled the backup feature on OneCare and instead use MS's SyncToy (free)...
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:19 AM
  • Yes, Stuart, OneCare still can't backup encrypted files, nor do I expect this to ever change. I use SyncToy extensively and recommend it highly.

-steve
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:22 PM