Running notepad.exe in Windows XP SP3 compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying migrate a 3rd party program from Windows XP to Windows 7.  The program installs and runs fine, however there is one portion that it out puts the data to notepad.exe.  They make the changes and close notepad, and it is supposed to import the changes back into the program.  When the user closes notepad is when the program closes.  I have attempted to run the program in XP SP3 mode, I downloaded ACT 5.0 to try to build some shims, but it still doesn't work.  So I was thinking it may not be the program but notepad.exe not passing the data back correctly.  I want to be able to run notepad.exe in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, however it is greyed out and won't let me change it.  I tried manually adding in the registry:

Key: HKLM\Woftware\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVerion\AppCampatFlags\Layers

String: C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe

Value: WINXPSP3

It appears that it had no effect on getting notepad.exe to open in compatibility mode, as that section is still greyed out with no options selected.  The other option I wanted to try is to replace notepad.exe with the version from Windows XP, but Windows won't let me.  UAC has been disable, logged in with the Administrator account.

The 3rd party program was written in a proprietary language so I can't edit it to open a different notepad version. Is it possible to replace or trick Windows 7 & 8 to opening an older version of notepad.exe, instead of opening the default?

• Edited by Evers_mark Monday, June 10, 2013 12:53 PM
    • Moved by Damon Zheng Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:55 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 12:48 PM

All replies