Configuring Backup problems RRS feed

• Question

• When I install the connector on one system WHS connector backup configuration says it can't configure backup for this hard drive because it is not an NTFS volume.  It is an NTFS volume.  I've changed its name and I've reinstalled the connector, but it doesn't see it as NTFS.  It was formatted as NTFS originally.

"this computer cannot be backed up automatically because it does not have any hard drive volumes that are configured with the ntfs file system"

The errant system is Windows XP Home (sp3).  I've checked over services, but everything appropriate appears to be started.  Three other systems, one XP desktop, one XP laptop and one Windows 7 64bit desktop are backing up fine by WHS.

How can I change the NTFS volume to be recognized as NTFS by the WHS configurator?  Having these backups is a main reason for running WHS.

Thanks for any ideas.  You can email to me at comptechs@sbcglobal.net too.
    Computer Tech
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:11 PM

All replies

• When I install the connector on one system WHS connector backup configuration says it can't configure backup for this hard drive because it is not an NTFS volume.  It is an NTFS volume.  I've changed its name and I've reinstalled the connector, but it doesn't see it as NTFS.  It was formatted as NTFS originally.

"this computer cannot be backed up automatically because it does not have any hard drive volumes that are configured with the ntfs file system"

The errant system is Windows XP Home (sp3).  I've checked over services, but everything appropriate appears to be started.  Three other systems, one XP desktop, one XP laptop and one Windows 7 64bit desktop are backing up fine by WHS.

How can I change the NTFS volume to be recognized as NTFS by the WHS configurator?  Having these backups is a main reason for running WHS.

Thanks for any ideas.  You can email to me at comptechs@sbcglobal.net too.
    Computer Tech

Is it a pre-built system (i.e. HP, Dell, etc.)?  If so, does it have a hidden restore partition?  Also, did you try running chkdsk /r on the hard drive to see if there are any errors?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Thanks, Al. The system is hand-made, not pre-built, so no special recovery partitions. And I have run chkdsk /r as well as full error-checking and defragging. Both good ideas, though. There was a memory drive listed (G:) that comes through the printer, but I turned that off too. I think the answer may be in how the WHS configurator checks drives for compatibility. I went back to the Windows Live One Care and did a backup, so there's no real cause for concern. It's just that the WHS is such a nice platform, I'm bugged a bit by this glitch. It may be a boot sector problem or something wrong with the MBR? The drive doesn't reboot unless the machine is turned off first.
    Computer Tech
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:29 AM
  • Have you ever installed a third party backup tool? You mention One Care; how about Acronis True Image, or Ghost, etc.? Have you ever used partition management tools like Partition Magic or Acronis disk director?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:12 PM