none
long single line code blocks are not reable RRS feed

• Question

• Dim x as string = "THIS IS A REALLY LONG STRING SO THAT THE CODE BLOCK I AM PUTTING IT IN WILL DISPLAY SCROLLBARS BUT THIS WILL STILL BE 1 LINE, AND SHOULD CAUSE THE FORMATTING BUG TO HAPPEN." 

Single line code blocks that are long get scrollbars, however it causes the single line to be covered by the scrollbar, making it unreadable. A current workaround is to put some carriage returns before and after to space things out, but the forum software should handle this automatically.
    Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP Visual Basic - MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    Friday, May 30, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• sorry can you post your code again, I can't see it.  just kidding :) 

A post with one big horizontal scroll bar in it, that's just funny.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Heh, thats a good one. I also noticed that Firefox has no issue with this, I'll have to give IE8 a try too. In any event, I'll take a look and hopefully it can be handled via CSS.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:17 AM
  • I did not test in IE8, only IE7 and Firefox so far.

I did notice that while the issue doesn't exist in firefox, it is likely because firefox doesn't even get a scroll bar rendered. While that takes care of the specific issue of not being able to read the code line, it also doesn't give any visual indication that the code line is any longer than what is visible on screen. The only way to scroll the code in firefox, is to highlight it and drag (or make sure it has focus and arrow over).

You are the expert on this, but I would consider this particular issue to be a bug in both IE7 and firefox as it stands right now, just that the behavior of the bug is different in each browser.
    Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP Visual Basic - MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    • Edited by kleinma Monday, June 2, 2008 8:13 PM added line
    Monday, June 2, 2008 8:13 PM
  • This was fixed (by various updates over 3+ years). Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:41 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, Glad to see things do not fall through the cracks and do get addressed, even if it takes a little bit. Thanks.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:45 PM
  • This was fixed (by various updates over 3+ years). Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

It doesn't seem to be fixed in Firefox. When I look at the code block in the original post using Firefox 10.0, I see the left part of the single line of code but no scroll bar and no indication that there is more text to the right. The only way I can see the text to the right is to click on th etext and drag the mouse to the right.

In IE 9, the scroll bar shows without obscuring the text, so it's possible this is a Firefox problem.

[Edit]
    Firefox does show the horizontal scroll bar when necessary on multiline code blocks, it seems to be missing only on single line blocks.
    • Edited by Blackwood Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:50 AM Clarify that there's no problem on multiline blocks
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:36 AM