none
WHS question: Cannot cancel backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop running Vista Ultimate that has some completed backups but any backups triggered manually freeze at 0%. When I View Backups it claims to be in progress but with a duration of 0 secs. Closing everything and starting over has no effect. Any idea how to cancel the manual backup so at least the automatic backup will work again?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:05 PM

All replies

• Please check the event log of the client.
    I have seen such issues, if COM+ or VSS components on the client were broken.
    In this thread you find two batches, which sometimes can repair these issues - but without warranty, that they work as expected and nothing else destroy.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:15 PM
  • The problem is resolved although I am not certain of the mechanics: I had a service (objspawn.exe) that was choking during startup and not responding to Stop requests. I killed the process manually and started investigating it. 20 mins later, the WHS status popped to tell me the backup was 21% complete! It is now completed so I can only assume the stalled service was blocking the backup.
    I am happy again but not ready to mark this as answered until someone supports my assumption.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:48 AM
  • That service is not part of a normal Windows installation, therefore it is hard to tell, what it was doing or why it was hanging - and without checking the event log it is not possible to see the influence if this process to other services/applications as well.
    But since you say it worked after - practice proves the truth ;-)
    It is to assume that this service also blocked other stuff (like the VSS services) to load successfully.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:54 PM