none
When Moderators Move Posts, Who had the last reply? RRS feed

• General discussion

• A moderator in the Expression Studio General forum responded to a thread and moved it to the correct one, but she's still marked as having the last reply (even though her reply is not in the forum). Does this mean her post counts toward the total count, I wonder...

-Thought I'd bring it up for another possible discussion, because it seems kind of misleading, to me.

Web Designers for Obama/Biden 08
    • Edited by Oliver Black Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:04 PM

All replies

• I've noticed this too.

I think you are bothering too much about the points here as it doesn't really matter if the *single* point is in the forum the thread was wrongly in or in the forum it was moved to.

What is good with the fact that a reply that has been made is being stored in the original forum, is that you can see immediately after having made such a reply (i.e. having "processed" the forum) whether anyone else has since replied to a post there.

The web page for the group of forums (in my case all SharePoint forums) will per individual forum show the latest person and time someone posted there and if the last thing you (as Moderator) did there was to reply that the post is in the wrong forum and that you are moving it,, then - if nobody has posted a reply there
    since - you will be listed as being the last poster to that forum.

As I've said it would be better if there was also a line saying who posted the latest *new* thread (and when) but that's another issue. For the moment at least you know if there are any new replies in the thread that you might need to look at. You wouldn't if the record of that reply in that forum vanished if the thread was moved to another forum.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:23 AM
  • I've just come across a worse consequence of the "function" you are reporting.

The SharePoint - Social Computing form has listed as the latest reply this

last reply by Ashish kanoongo on September 26, 2008 4:15:19 AM GMT+03:00

When you go to the forum, however, you see that the post that Ashish kanoongo replied to is listed *Fourth* (after the Sticky posts) so there are three posts ahead of it in the list where a reply has been posted LATER.

The first thought is that all these three earlier threads have been moved here from elsewhere.

That is true BUT **since** they have been moved to the Social Computing forum, there have been replies (in one case four replies).

All of these replies are being ignored when creating "Last reply by" post.

THIS is clearly wrong. Should I move the thread to Bugs Reporting, Oliver ?
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:56 AM
  • THIS is clearly wrong. Should I move the thread to Bugs Reporting, Oliver ?

Yep. I didn't file it there because it felt more like design error than bug, but that seems to fit the bill...

Web Designers for Obama/Biden 08
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Very interesting. I have an idea why this is happening. The good news is that this section of code has been completely rewritten for our next big version. I'll look to make sure this doesn't happen any more with that code base.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:05 PM
  • If the moderators move that thread to the correct ones, and she's marked as having the last reply, it doesn't count as her post count.

And I don't know what urgent means in the forum, in the first post, in that thread.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointsocialcomputing/thread/946a6a54-a342-432a-af41-8abbfd95cfc2#page:9999

Best Regards,
    Robert

• Edited by MaxfireXSA Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:20 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:10 AM
  • >And I don't know what urgent means in the forum, in the first post, in that thread.
    >http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointsocialcomputing/thread/946a6a54-a342-432a-af41-8abbfd95cfc2#page:9999

This is the quote you are refering to in that thread

"Note: Urgent removed. Do NOT write urgent in forum posts. If it's urgent you should not be posting to a forum."

It was from me, so I can give you the background.

The post had a Subject that started with the word "Urgent".

There was nothing particularly urgent about the question and if everyone used the same standards *every* post would have a subject that started  "Urgent: ".

This is true in maybe 99.99% of all cases I have seen that have included the word urgent. So I have a policy of removing the word "Urgent" from all such posts and advising the poster in the Reason note that forums are not a suitable place for posting urgent questions. If I have time I add that they should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services instead. (In the above thread I didn't have time).

The other thing I've noticed is that if posts with "Urgent" in the subject are left in a forum, many other people start writing Urgent in their posts' subjects ....

Does that answer your question here ?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Matt,

There's also another thing that happens connected to this.

The person marked as having posted the lasted answer in the Workflow forum at the moment actually posted her answer in the InfoPath forum.

The thread in question was moved by me yesterday to InfoPath from Workflow and yet with Workflow still claiming it as its, Workflow is showing latest poster data for someone who didn't post to it.  (and of course InfoPath is showing something much older)

Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

>And I don't know what urgent means in the forum, in the first post, in that thread.
    >http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointsocialcomputing/thread/946a6a54-a342-432a-af41-8abbfd95cfc2#page:9999

This is the quote you are refering to in that thread

"Note: Urgent removed. Do NOT write urgent in forum posts. If it's urgent you should not be posting to a forum."

It was from me, so I can give you the background.

The post had a Subject that started with the word "Urgent".

There was nothing particularly urgent about the question and if everyone used the same standards *every* post would have a subject that started  "Urgent: ".

This is true in maybe 99.99% of all cases I have seen that have included the word urgent. So I have a policy of removing the word "Urgent" from all such posts and advising the poster in the Reason note that forums are not a suitable place for posting urgent questions. If I have time I add that they should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services instead. (In the above thread I didn't have time).

The other thing I've noticed is that if posts with "Urgent" in the subject are left in a forum, many other people start writing Urgent in their posts' subjects ....

Does that answer your question here ?

I think I need to know what does 'urgent' means in the forum, not explaining about when the 'urgent' is removed.

And Mike, I think I have a conclusion of what does 'urgent' means in the forum...Is this.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/urgent

Now does the answers concludes to you, Mike?
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:59 PM