Does a Dynamics Admin need to be server Administrator? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a bit of a problem with a Dynamics consultant who absolutely wants to have Administrator access to the Dynamics server, and be able to make changes to files in the Program Files directory containing Dynamics.

I would prefer to limit the access to Administrator roles on Dynamics and SQL Server, and I think that should be enough. And of course, I see no reason why he should be able to make changes to the program directory. It's my understanding that the change were to be made to the "dictionaries".

I don't know much (yet!) about either Dynamics or SQL Server. So my question is: does he in fact need to be in the Administrators group (or Domain Admins group) on the Dynamics server?

By the way, the software in question is Dynamics GP 2010 / SQL Server 2008 R2 / Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks in advance,

Philippe

Friday, April 27, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Depending on the scope of the customizations being made, he may need access to the file system. The typical "out of the box" level of customizations can be made right through the web interface but if they are doing more that, additional access might be required. As you probably are aware CRM is a web application and the files needed to render the website are in fact stored in the program files directory as opposed to a directory under /inetpub/wwwroot.

Jason Lattimer

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Thanks! But we're only using GP 2010. And have just begun implementing.

I realize the forum is named CRM and that I may be off topic. Just let me know if I am.

Regards

Philippe

Friday, April 27, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Hi Philippe, it's slightly confusing but Microsoft closed the MSDN forums for the other Dynamics products but left the CRM forums on MSDN running because there's a lot of traffic here. The new Dynamics Community forums are available for GP (and CRM, AX, NAV, SL, etc.). Here's the GP Community site: https://community.dynamics.com/product/gp/default.aspx.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:37 AM