File Conflict questions RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS since it was originally in beta. I've elected not to migrate to WHS 2011, as the Drive Extender technology is my main attraction to WHS, and I'm pretty sure my current server hardware will last me until I until I fill up the last 4tb it will hold. That said, over the last year, I've been having more and more problems with File Conflict errors, and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

At first, I attributed it to the Advanced Format drives. Even though I followed the directions from Western Digital and set the jumper correctly, after installing a 2tb WD EARS drive I had problems with performance and file conflicts. I ordered a new drive, manually killed the file conflicts using the WHSCleanup tool, and then removed the WD EARS drive from the storage pool (note: at the time I didn't really care about deleting the files, they were either easily replaceable or not actually needed). 

My WHS icon was green again for awhile. 

And then the file conflicts started again. I'm a busy guy, and the server was operating normally besides some file conflicts, so I didn't get around to actually looking at the issue until recently. Maybe about 4-5 months have passed since I first noticed it. Last week, I noticed I was running out of space in my storage pool. So I ordered another 2tb drive, and added it to the storage pool. 

I wrote down some of the files listed as having File Conflicts, and used the plugin Duplication Info to track down which drives the files were located on. Turns out they're all on the same drive, a Samsng Spinpoint 2tb drive (HD204UI). Now that I had some extra space, I tried removing the drive from the storage pool. Roughly 8 hours later, the process failed due to the File Conflicts. So I used WHSCleanup again to delete the troublesome files (wincing as I see a couple of movies, lots of music, and some pictures in the file list...still replaceable, but this time not so easily). Now I could remove the drive. 

Right now I'm running the Samsung diagnostic tools on the drive itself. It's gone through the quick and easy ones, and is about 20% through the surface scan. I'm estimating it's going to take another 3 or 4 hours for it to finish. 

In the meantime, my actual question:

What causes File Conflicts?! These particular conflicts are all listed as "file handle invalid" (or something similar, the server obviously isn't on right now). I'll freely admit that I have lots running on my WHS box: uTorrent, SABNZBd, Sickbeard, Couch Potato, Eye-Fi Manager, Growl...maybe some even beyond that. Of those, both uTorrent and SAB download files to the share folder, which is supposedly a problem with previous versions of WHS but not since the big updates came out. 

I'm open to all suggestions as to what the cause could be. I don't want to be dramatic, but I fully expect the drive to pass the tests from Samsung. At that point I'll add it to the storage pool again and wait to see if any File Conflicts come up. If they do, I'll probably salvage the computer for parts and start looking for server alternatives. It's not something I want to do, but I can't continue losing data. :(

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:46 PM

All replies

• An update to my problem. Like I expected, the 2tb Samsung drive passed all of the Samsung tests and reported no issues. I booted WHS back up and checked the connector and I didn't have any file conflicts. I purposely left the 2tb drive out of the system over the last few days to see if any file conflicts would crop up, thinking that it could just be limited to the drive. 

This morning I discovered a new file conflict, in my Photos share. It's a directory that was created when I was migrating an iTunes database from one PC to the next, and somehow put it in the Photos share as opposed to Software. Either way, this morning the directory \\server\Photos\bak\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\Album Artwork\Cache\..... is giving the error "The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable". That particular share is duplicated, so Duplication Info shows it on two hard drives. Once again, the data isn't particularly important, but it worries me that this could happen to a different directory.

One more symptom, in case it's related: since I have removed the 2tb drive, my server has had very little very free space. The Connector software pops up a message on my laptop reminding me about this every 5 minutes or so. The weird thing is that the amount of free space changes each time. I've seen it as low as 90gb and as high as 117gb. Could that be related to my re-occurring file conflicts, or is it Drive Extender being weird?

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:17 PM