Outlook client running through Remote Desktop session RRS feed

• Question

• My customer wants to have his remote connections via RDP rather than VPN.  Within the session the user will start up Outlook.  Can this Outlook have the CRM client?  How would that be set up?  Would this be a situation where the users' "official" Outlook be the designated Outlook while the rdp arrangement would have to do without communication between Outlook address book and CRM?

Monday, September 13, 2010 4:34 PM

Answers

• Sorry Mardukes but any application that uses a version of SQL Express for the individual user account is not going to work well in a Terminal Server environment where the attributes in the registry hive regaring "Registry rights" to the applicatio will work.

Remember that full Outlook client will allow a person to go offline and sync.

You may have more success with the desktop client, but I don't thing so.

Remember that registry rights are not NTFS rights.  You can see them on Reg keys in regedt32.exe

That being said, it sounds like your asking the CRM software to bend to the will of other network problems.

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:28 PM
  • The client information in Windows Remote Desktop is in the profiles but the rights to the applicaitons deployed in application mode, are set in the registry.

That is one of the things that enables an application to be used by multiple users on the Terminal server farm.

The Full CRM Outlook client uses a local SQL instance on a laptop or workstation.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:36 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Sorry, what I was saying that the FULL CRM Outlook Client should not work as a published application because it will install one SQL instance during the install that cannot be shared.

When I was a Citrix Gold Partner we tried to get around it but the function of Terminal server stops it because you cannot get it to work with multiple people.

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:36 PM

All replies

• This depends on which computer the user is creating a RDP connection to.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Monday, September 13, 2010 6:09 PM
  • The RDP Server?

Further information -- the RDP instance will be the primary.  Any freestanding computer/Outlook will suffer secondary CRM status.  I'm told it works like any workstation and I'm about to test it.

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I thought you might have been just connecting straight to the users machine but you are looking to use Terminal Services or Citrix, is this right? If so you install the CRM client the same way as you install outlook into this environment, then when a user connects they just have to run the configure process.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Monday, September 13, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Sorry Mardukes but any application that uses a version of SQL Express for the individual user account is not going to work well in a Terminal Server environment where the attributes in the registry hive regaring "Registry rights" to the applicatio will work.

Remember that full Outlook client will allow a person to go offline and sync.

You may have more success with the desktop client, but I don't thing so.

Remember that registry rights are not NTFS rights.  You can see them on Reg keys in regedt32.exe

That being said, it sounds like your asking the CRM software to bend to the will of other network problems.

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:28 PM
  • As close as I can understand the question, I don't see where Express comes into this seing as to how we are not using the Outlook offline client.  It's just the straight "desktop" client.

Anyway, it installs, configures and launches assuming the primary client role.  I haven't gone into any deeper testing of, say, address book synchronization.

The network guy poses this question, where does the Outlook client configuration data get stored?  As in, what happens went the rdp server becomes a farm and a user shows up on a different server the second time?

I guessed that it could be stored with the Outlook profile but, I certainly don't know.

Let me clarify.  I'm talking Windows Remote Desktop Connection.

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:23 PM
  • The client information in Windows Remote Desktop is in the profiles but the rights to the applicaitons deployed in application mode, are set in the registry.

That is one of the things that enables an application to be used by multiple users on the Terminal server farm.

The Full CRM Outlook client uses a local SQL instance on a laptop or workstation.

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:31 PM

Is this an answer to my question?  Are you saying the information that Outlook/Client uses to connect to CRM is in the registry?  Further, are you saying that such registry information is available throughout the farm?  Are you saying it works fine?
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Sorry, what I was saying that the FULL CRM Outlook Client should not work as a published application because it will install one SQL instance during the install that cannot be shared.

When I was a Citrix Gold Partner we tried to get around it but the function of Terminal server stops it because you cannot get it to work with multiple people.

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:36 PM
  • do you pronounce your name like Edinburgh or Pittsburgh?  And why are they different?
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:27 PM