WHS backup config not recognizing NTFS local drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for this issue, but have not found anything yet so if you could help I would appreciate it.

I have a company laptop that I VPN into work and join a domain.

With the laptop not connected to the VPN then the WHS console installs and connects to the WHS server fine.  (Of course when the VPN is connected then I cannot connect to the WHS on my local LAN, but this is not the problem.)

However, when it gets to the configuring backups part it fails with an error message that the laptop hard drive is not an

NTFS volume.

Well, of course the laptop hard drive is NTFS so does anyone have any idea why it thinks the hard drive is not NTFS?

I ran CHKDSK with a full error scan with zero errors, and Ibacked up the hard drive using GHOST, did FDISK and a full FORMAT, then restored the GHOST image in an attempt to resolve any strange NTFS problem, but this did not resolve the issue.

Thanks for any pointers,

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:34 AM

Answers

• It's possible that your laptop has a non-NTFS partition for system recovery purposes. You could check in Disk Management to see if there's a second small partition listed there. It's also possible (but unlikely) that your laptop drive was converted from FAT to NTFS, which could cause problems with backup. Ghosting the entire drive would preserve either issue; the only thing you would be able to fix that way is a hardware problem (transferring to a new drive).
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

• It's possible that your laptop has a non-NTFS partition for system recovery purposes. You could check in Disk Management to see if there's a second small partition listed there. It's also possible (but unlikely) that your laptop drive was converted from FAT to NTFS, which could cause problems with backup. Ghosting the entire drive would preserve either issue; the only thing you would be able to fix that way is a hardware problem (transferring to a new drive).
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:35 PM
  • I had the same problem. Turned out the system I was trying to backup was previously imaged using sysprep and ghost. It caused the disk partition information in the registry to think the disk had dynamic partitions when the disk management console showed the disk as 'Basic'. But the status of the disk read 'Healthy (Active)' instead of 'Healthy (System)'. After much trial and error - I decided to let Windows convert the disk to dynamic. That fixed the disk status - now says 'Healthy (System)' and the WHS Connector detected the disk and allowed me to backup the system.

Hope that helps.

Marc
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:41 PM
  •  Hello,

I saw the same thing in this thread.
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/cc7f1c56-456f-4f69-9d1f-5896d19b2dc8/

To fix the problem please try to change registry,as below.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931697

Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:03 AM
  • I had the same problem. Turned out the system I was trying to backup was previously imaged using sysprep and ghost. It caused the disk partition information in the registry to think the disk had dynamic partitions when the disk management console showed the disk as 'Basic'. But the status of the disk read 'Healthy (Active)' instead of 'Healthy (System)'. After much trial and error - I decided to let Windows convert the disk to dynamic. That fixed the disk status - now says 'Healthy (System)' and the WHS Connector detected the disk and allowed me to backup the system.

Hope that helps.

Marc

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.  i have also been suffering from the error stating that my NTFS drive is not formatted as NTFS.  As you mentioned, the drive in questino is showing as 'healthy(active) instead of healthy(system) however for the life of me I cannot find how to change the drive status.  I have dug through disk Management as well as PartitionMagic and cannot seem to figure it out.  I am Running XP-MCE with all updates and service packs installed.  I made sure there are no other partitions on the drive and no unallocated space as well.  Any advice you can give me to convert the drive to the correct status would be wonderful. 

Thanks a ton!

Rob

Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:03 AM