Should i be worried? am i being scammed? RRS feed

• Question

• i purchased 3 versions of office 2007 pro online. Here is the ad.
    CLEARANCE Office 2007 Professional OEM Cosmetic Grade B - Please read description before you purchase the product We have a limited amount of damaged Office 2007 Professional OEM boxes.  The jewel cases may be broken, the sticker gone off the end and/or the book is missing.  We guarantee that this product will work and register.  Product keys are from Microsoft and have never been activated, the shipping damage is only cosmetic and the software will install and work the same as the undamaged version for $199.99 on our site.

After purchasing, i recieved this email. Dear Customer:

Thank you for your order!

I wanted to let you know that recently there has been an issue which some customers are experiencing with the Office validation, there is a patch which solves this problem, and should you also have this issue, please let us know and we will send the available solution. Microsoft technet is flooded with this issue and there are several good solutions. The issue is one of the newer office updates which has been causing issues with OEM Office 2003 and 2007.

With that said, you should not have any problems, but if you install and do see what I mentioned here, kindly reply to this email and I will send you a download link for the appropriate fix.

Thank you for your purchase, we will have these shipped for you momentarily!

I replied asking more information about the "patch" and if it was a microsoft patch, or a 3rd party crack. and if it wasnt a microsoft patch, not to ship my order and refund my money.  this is what i got.

Hi, the patch is a 3rd party solution which resets the registry keys and dll files associated to the issue. Our tech has gone home for the day, but I have seen the patch, it looks like a program that you run and it installs an OGA validation, after which everything works properly.

Again, this has not happened to all installs, only about 2 out of 15.

Once the patch is run it works just fine.

If you don't like the idea of running the patch, we would be happy to exchange the software for you if yo have the issue for the same title, as I said it is not an everyday issue and happens on under 20% of installs.

It is said to relate to certain pre-existing conditions which trigger it, like an office trial license, etc.

We have an MCSE Certified Engineer who is here during the day should you have any issues we will pass it along to him.

The order has already been shipped, as you ordered the rush processing option.

But if you do have a problem I will exchange the product for you, or offer the patch which fixes it, your choice.

I think i'm being scammed. Am i?

Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hello rlynnh,

You wrote, "I think i'm being scammed. Am i?"

Yup.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hello rlynnh,

You wrote, "I think i'm being scammed. Am i?"

Yup.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Hopefully im good. After raising cain and threating to report to microsoft, i got this reply. 

I will see if I can pull your package, I don't need this headache from you.

I prefer to deal with customers who thank us for our excellent service, not bicker before they even receive what they ordered.

Our products ALL validate on Microsoft's site, and all say genuine. Here's a screen shot for you!

I have canceled your order and banned you from our site.

Take it easy.

Genuine Microsoft Software

Validation Successful!

Thank you for using genuine Office and participating in the Office Genuine Advantage program. Genuine customers have access to all product updates and downloads, and to support from Microsoft and its partners. With genuine Office you'll spend less time keeping your software current and more time generating professional-looking documents for home, school, or work.

When you buy genuine Office, you:

• Know that you are getting the most secure version of Office available.
    • Have the confidence that you got what you paid for.
    • Have access to support from Microsoft or a trusted partner.
    • Stay better protected with the latest enhancements.
    • Enjoy access to the latest offers exclusively reserved for genuine Microsoft software users.

Validation does not guarantee that the copy of Office installed on this computer is properly licensed.

Then i got another email.  

Any future attempt of defaming my business, and I will be reporting you and your business.

Don't let me catch you on our site again. I have logged your IP address.

Get this they ar a nextag seller as well. ripping off tons of people. i guess it is my duty to report them eh? They are selling all kinds of microsoft software.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Hello rlynnh,

Your seller wrote, "Our products ALL validate on Microsoft's site, and all say genuine. Here's a screen shot for you!"

Yeah, they all validate, um, er, except for the "under 20%" that, ah, don't.

:-)

rlynnh, please stop posting this seller's emails, I'm laughing so hard I might burst a blood vessel!!! :-0

"Don't let me catch you on our site again. I have logged your IP address."

ROFLMAO
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:47 AM
  • hello rlynnh,

Could you post a link to this seller's website?  Thx! :-)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:51 AM
  • yess i will. just as soon as i get off the phone with paypal and make sure ive been credited. :)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:55 AM
  • Hello rlynnh,

A very wise decision!
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:58 AM
  • well the transaction is still pending. Paypal says it can take hours sometimes after the merchant cancels. They assure me i'm covered and made notes.

the website is.... just remove the spaces..   s gt w h olesale . webasy st . net/shop/  my attempt to hide this from google, untill i get my money back.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:16 AM
  • Hello rlynnh,

Just curious if you received your refund...?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Yes i did.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:24 AM
  • Hello rlynnh,

That's great news!

When you do make your Office purchase, please be very selective about the source of your software to ensure that you get Genuine software.

If you have any doubts about a potential purchase, or about what you do finally purchase, please come back here and give us an opportunity to help.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:10 AM