Storage Sharing and external HDD with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking at buying a server for use at home but I do not know much about WHS.

Can entire hard drives on whs be shared or only folders? Where is the shared storage accessed on the computer (my computer, my network places…)? Can external hdd be shared as a separate hdd so that when I access my server’s shared storage I would see two separate hdds?  I would like to automatically back up music I save to the server on a separate external hdd connected to the server. This way I can take my hdd with my music with me when I need to. Is any of this possible with whs? Can this be done with any server or am I being ridiculous? This might not be a normal way to setup a server but I would like it this way. If I decide to go with whs I will most likely buy the Asus TS mini if not then maybe the synology DS209. I need some assistance, I have looked everywhere. Please be very detailed in your answers. Thank you. 

Monday, November 1, 2010 5:28 PM

Answers

• I would suggest you start by reading the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site, including the various documents available there and on subpages. You'll have a much better idea of what you can, and can't, do with the product.

For your specific question: no, Windows Home Server doesn't allow you to share an arbitrary disk or folder. You create and manage shares through a purpose-built management console, then Windows Home Server manages all your disks and shares for you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by FoMoCotech Monday, November 1, 2010 8:54 PM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 8:07 PM