locked
Can't find People in Addr. book?? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,
    New install this last week.   I am unable to find people in the address book even though I've verfied that they are enabled for IM.   The only work around to add people to my contacts is not through the communicator but through OUtlook or SharePoint/right click presense button and add them.  

    I don't see any address book errors in the event log.  Where do I go from here?

    Brent
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:59 PM

All replies

  • Take a look at this article: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17

    Follow the later steps to locate and verify that the Galcontacts.db file is actually getting downloaded to the workstation.  If you are using R2 the files will be stored one folder deeper than show in that article; there's a folder for each user's sign-in name which contains the .db and .idx files.

    Also there a lot of threads in the forums which already covere some of the basic troubleshooting steps to identify where among the many different places the root cause could be.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:30 PM
    Moderator
  • After a few reboots, this seemed to just start working.

    It's cool to see PointBridge people answering questions - We're a financial firm here in Racine WI - We've had PB come out and talk to us before.

    -Brent
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Ok, as I add more users we are seeing this issue again.  

    I've followed the blog and reviewed a few things.  

    -Our Sync time is scheduled for 1:30am -> Does this mean that if I enable a user on Tuesday, they won't be avalalbe in the address book until Wednesday?

    -I ran the following command to force an address book update:  abserver -syncNow -> It did it's thing, I got several informational events indicating that the address book was updated.   I closed my communicator client, re-opened and still wasn't able to see the newly enabled users.

    -It was only when I deleted the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files" *.db file that I actually saw the updated users.  ->
    What frequency should I expect the names to automatically apear avalable in Communicator without tampering?

    Hoping to get some clarification on the Address book situation.  We are only using IM/presence so we're not focused on AD phone number stuff.

    Thanks!
    Brent



    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:57 PM
  • 1. Yes, the process runs nightly every 24 hours.  You can change the time, but not the interval.

    2. You have to run both -RegenUR and -SyncNow.  The -SyncNow process only synchronizes the Address Book files with OCS SQL database.  You need to first sync changes in Active Directory to the OCS SQL database.  Take a closer look at the process in my blog article.  Make sure you wait for confirmation in the event log before proceeding to the next step.

    3.  Office Communicator typically updates the files when launching the client but the only way to force an update of the files from the server is to delete the .db and then sign back in.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:36 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    Another tip when making validation on Address book regeneration is to decrease the delay of sync, which is by default 5min. I usually decrease it to 20sec for validation period, and I never saw any issues on performances, even on large deployments.
    Do to this two methods:
    -use absconfig.exe from OCS Reskit (patch needed for R1, none for R2).
    -use wbemtest to modify directly this WMI parameter: in MSFT_SIPAddressBookSetting, change SynchronizePollingIntervalSecs value (from 300 to something like 20)
    It helps a lot when you test normalization rules for Address book, because by default 3 modifications take 3 time 5 minutes of resync...
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:50 AM