How can I change the output lenth of the cliplet? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a reason that every cliplet is 10 secs long? Why can't I make it shorter? For a simple 1-layer loop, why render the loop three times? It makes sense from a file size and efficiency standpoint to render one iteration. I have an image with a loop that doesn't devide evenly into 10 secs at realtime, so the output jumps at the end of 10 secs... Wat?

Or am I blind? I can't find any way to change the output length. My expectation given the interface, would be to select the still layer and set crop points, similar to the way the loops are adjusted. Am I missing something?

Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:32 PM

All replies

• You can change the duration immediately after importing your video. You have two possibilities now.

1. Drag the sliders in the timeline to the duration time you want (light green rectangles)
    2. Type in the values manuelly (red rectangles).

With the slider at the bottom you can change the position of your "cliplet".

Time Adjustment

Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:13 AM
  • So I need to know precisely where my seamless loop will be BEFORE using the main cliplets interface to mask, loop, and preview my work?
    OR I need to essentially finish my cliplet, note the loop points, and recreate it, using just that clip as input? (and then I still don't get to crossfade the loop)
    OR I output the cliplet as a video, then reimport it, just to trim the length? (except that it will be too short to trigger that dialog)

Nope, none of those options really works. So I'm stuck using another tool to finish off the cliplet: trim to length, crop size, and generate a nice-looking .gif. I call that a Cliplets fail, and the whole process ceases to be fun and easy, and turns tedious. It forces me to wonder if the devs actually tried to use Cliplets to make cinemagraphs, or just goofed around in the interface, and called it a day?

Cliplets needs some small, but critical, features around output to actually be a one-stop tool for creating cinemagraphs:

• Ability to trim the length of the output clip. Output length should not be tied to input length. Interface is easy and intuitive: add length controls to the blue Still base layer timeline. 10 sec maximum is fine. Bonus: snap to other loop lengths; especially sensible for a simple one-layer loop.
    • Ability to crop image. Again, interface is fairly intuitive: Interacting with preview of base layer creates a rectangular crop rather than a mask. Bonus: automatically crop to inside of warp artifacts.
    • Remove 10 sec limit on input clips. Once output is disconnected from input, it makes sense to allow for layers that capture different events that occur more sporatically in the captured video. Optional: get rid of initial trim dialog(?) it still might be useful/necessary for preventing the app from getting bogged down
    • Allow "smooth" (assuming crossfade) option to work on end of cliplet back to beginning. This is critical for getting a nice-looking, efficient output. This becomes less necessary depending on how the output trim feature works. (Example: loop 3x, and then trim down to the inside loop gives the desired effect)
    • GIF export needs more options. If you compare the dithered output to professional cinemagraphs, the difference is night and day. Dithered color reduction gives the GIF away; need something like palette-optimized nearest-color. That said, MP4 export WOULD be the modern HTML5 format of choice, since it features full color, and MUCH more efficient compression, IF it weren't for the political nonsense between browsers supporting/not supporting the format.

I was really excited to use Cliplets. I wanted to love it. I shot some nice videos specificly to try it. The warp stabilization is great and makes it possible to use my jiggly hand-held shots. It came SO close. Then fell flat and seriously disappointed me. Please fix it, so we can make cool images! And thanks for a neat, fun, easy free tool for exploring this interesting modern art form.

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hey - it's free, and besides, I haven't found any single video editing tool - no matter how sophisticated - that does every single thing that I might want to do.  Hauling video into a couple of different apps to get the outcome you want is no big deal.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Is there a reason that every cliplet is 10 secs long? Why can't I make it shorter? For a simple 1-layer loop, why render the loop three times? It makes sense from a file size and efficiency standpoint to render one iteration. I have an image with a loop that doesn't devide evenly into 10 secs at realtime, so the output jumps at the end of 10 secs... Wat?

Or am I blind? I can't find any way to change the output length. My expectation given the interface, would be to select the still layer and set crop points, similar to the way the loops are adjusted. Am I missing something?

I agree. If all 10 seconds of my GIF are a 1 second loops why not just loop a 1 second GIF? Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. How do I say only store 1 loop but loop infinitely? 
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I sort of worked around this limitation. How? By saving the project, editing in a text editor the saved .xclp file, trying to open the .xclp, praying, swearing, and then editing, saving, and praying repeatedly until the swearing ended.

xclps are just XML, after all.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <ClipletData xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Filename>C:\Users\Zingus\Documents\Vidwork\funke gif party\gihpy-facebook.avi</Filename> <TimeOutTotal>10</TimeOutTotal> <TimeInTotal>1.67999983</TimeInTotal> <FrameRate>33.3333359</FrameRate> <StartFrame>-1</StartFrame> <EndFrame>-1</EndFrame> ...

<TimeOutTotal> here is "10", and if I make it "1.7", I get 1.7 seconds of playtime.

Or not. I actually get Cliplets to refuse to open the project.

That's because there are layers, in that file, that already fall behind the 1.7 mark, and this makes Cliplets uncomfortable.

To ease its pain, we must track those and make them fall at 1.7, in my project it was kinda easy.

I had a few <TimeOutEnd> and <PlayEnd> elements with a value of 10 and simply changed them all.
    Your project might be harder, e.g. it might have <TimeOutStart> and <PlayStart> elements falling beyond the new length mark.

Gotta find them all, convert them, save and reopen the project.

Yes, keeping a backup of the original xclp is highly recommended.
    Yes, we could write a program that automates this twiggling.
    Yes, it would require quite a lot of testing, I hereby declare the one that I will write procrastinated indefinitely.

• Edited by zrinkle Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:33 AM
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:19 AM