New hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have just had to do a major repair of my computor, new motherboard, graphics card, pretty much a full rebuild. The only thing that hasnt changed is the hard-drive with windows XP Pro installed. I had to download this a while back (cant remember when) and paid for it at the time. I was under the impression I could change hardware without having to re-register and therefore have to buy a new key. I have done both the WGA and OGA route with no success. Does this mean I have to buy a completly new key (at more expense) or is there someone who can help me with this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT-

I have been scanning over past posts and noticed that if a motherboard is changed, a new key is needed. I'm sorry, but if something dies on you, not only do you have to buy new hardware, but a new key as well? Thats nearly £250 in my case! Please tell me this isnt true....
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:32 AM

Answers

• Dan,

I have figured the problem out now, the activation process wasnt kicking in. Now that its sorted, I "should" know what to do if it happens again. Not sure if its a retail or OEM (as I dont know what an OEM is!), all I know is that I bought it online from Microsoft.

Thanks for replying!
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:31 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:17 AM

All replies

• Hello IGadders,

Do you have a full retail license for XP or an OEM license for XP?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Dan,

I have figured the problem out now, the activation process wasnt kicking in. Now that its sorted, I "should" know what to do if it happens again. Not sure if its a retail or OEM (as I dont know what an OEM is!), all I know is that I bought it online from Microsoft.

Thanks for replying!
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:31 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:17 AM