Goegraphically blocked PID RRS feed

• Question

• An hour on my phone w/ support.. They don't know why everything else passed in MGA diagnostics. How can I change that?
    I bought Genuine this morning and the KeyUpdate tool downloads but will not run. So I ran MGADiagnostics.  The tool should let me change the Product key so I can activate the new key.   Any one know the fix?
    WindowsXP Pro
    Friday, December 18, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hello rsmill,

If the Product Key Updater Utility cannot complete its task, it is usually because the installation of Windows it is running on has been "hacked and cracked" too much or there are too many damaged or altered files for it to cope with.

A less common reason for the utility to not complete is that it cannot reliably contact Microsoft's servers as it operates.  This could be due to any number of reasons including a problem with the internet connection, malware on the computer, or protective programs installed on the computer.

If the Product Key Updater Utility cannot run to completion, then you will have to wait until the actual Windows installation disc arrives by mail, and at that time do a clean installation of Windows using the disc and the Product Key that you were emailed directly after purchasing your WGA Kit.  Please be sure to back up your data before doing a clean installation.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 21, 2009 9:01 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hello rsmill,

If the Product Key Updater Utility cannot complete its task, it is usually because the installation of Windows it is running on has been "hacked and cracked" too much or there are too many damaged or altered files for it to cope with.

A less common reason for the utility to not complete is that it cannot reliably contact Microsoft's servers as it operates.  This could be due to any number of reasons including a problem with the internet connection, malware on the computer, or protective programs installed on the computer.

If the Product Key Updater Utility cannot run to completion, then you will have to wait until the actual Windows installation disc arrives by mail, and at that time do a clean installation of Windows using the disc and the Product Key that you were emailed directly after purchasing your WGA Kit.  Please be sure to back up your data before doing a clean installation.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 21, 2009 9:01 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:26 PM
  • So it has a flag on it huh?  No way that the support people could have fixed it ?  I sure apprieciate the clear answer. Did MS put protective programs on to keep me from using it?
    You can bet I'll report the guy who sold it to me.

Thanks again.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Hello rsmill,

This is not a matter of Fixing anything.  The tool is designed to ensure you don't continue to use a damaged copy of Windows.  This is to help you.  It helps you in that it ensures you have a complete and stable operating system that hasn't been re-engineered to include backdoors, keyloggers and other nasties. 

As Dan points out, there are other reasons for the tool to fail (" internet connection, malware on the computer, or protective programs installed on the computer"<-- Protective programs that you may have installed, not Microsoft), but those are generally outside of Microsoft's control.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused,
    Darin MS
    Monday, December 21, 2009 8:59 PM