Lost password RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me please???

My windows 10 computer has just failed as the OS system files have become corrupted during a system restore.

I have been using Money 2001 for over 25 years and when I have tried to install the disc on an alternative computer, the password is not recognised....I sadly don't have a note of it written down and have tried everything I can think of without luck.

I desperately need to access and restore the backup file which is stored in Dropbox but get stuck at the password stage.

Is there anyway to remove the stored password or find the password on the computer so I can carry on working with my file in Money?

I would be really grateful if someone can help as I am really stuck with what to do.

Thanks

Genny

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 10:25 PM

All replies

• Did you think you did not have a password at all, or that you thought you knew the password, but it was not recognized? It sounds as if you are saying that you think that you had a password, but now have no recollection of what it was.

What version of Money was running on the failed machine?

What version of Money did you just install?

The deal is that if you actually had a password on the file, and you had upgraded Money to a later version, you are unlikely to get in to your file. Keep a paper and pencil by the bed in case the old password comes to you.

I forget when Money switched to a stronger password.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 2:22 AM
  • Hi Cal,

No I have always typed the same password...it is just not recognising it.

I have installed Money 2001 again which was the same version as on the failed machine.

I did try and install Sunset earlier in the week when I couldn't find the Money 2001 disc and I wonder if that has mucked things up?

I have tried all the passwords it could be.....

Annoyingly I can see the file I need in dropbox but I can't access it because of the password issue - is there anyway to remove the password?

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:08 AM
  • I forget when Money switched to a stronger password.

I believe 2002 is when it was switched over to the new encryption scheme.

Genny, send me an email hleofxquotes at gmail dot com. Don't want to get your hope up since it sounds like you are sure you have the right password but for 2001 there are things that can be done to verify if you have the right password.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 2:14 PM
  • Was it a *.mny file or *.mbf file that you tried to use on the new computer?

Look on your computer, in the same folder that held your *.mny file, for a *.mn9 or *.m1* file. That would be a backup created by a newer version of Money as it tried to convert an older file.

If you can mount the old hard drive, you may be able to find something as data. on that drive.

Was your Money 2001 file created by a North American version of the program?

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

It's don't think it's the version of Money it's the password which I need to bypass somehow...

Thanks

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

It's don't think it's the version of Money it's the password which I need to bypass somehow...

Thanks

There have been versions of Money that gave a bogus bad-password error when you tried to access a newer file. Money Plus, I  think. ever does not do that, but it can only read files that came from North America. Looking for the *.mn9 or *.m1? files could be relevant. I know some of the questions seemed irrelevant.

I would probably follow up with hleofxquotes.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

I can only see M11/MBF & MNY backups....

Thanks

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

I can only see M11/MBF & MNY backups....

Thanks

*.M11 is a copy of a Money 2003 file as it existed when another version Money tried to convert. To use that file, you would need a version of Money appropriate to your country, and at least as new as Money 2003.

You might keep a copy of that file on other media, such as a USB flash drive.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:31 PM
  • Hi Cal,

Thanks for the info - will I need a password to access the .M11 file?

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:33 PM
  • Hi Cal,

Thanks for the info - will I need a password to access the .M11 file?

Yes.  Write down what you remember about the password.

Want to say what continent you are on?

I don't guess you have a *.mbf file dated circa 2001, maybe on floppies?

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 6:30 PM
  • Hi Cal,

I am in the UK and all the .mbf files are in dropbox so now dated from 06/08/20...any good?

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:47 PM
  • can you help hleofxquotes?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:49 PM
  • Best if you contact me via email hleofxquotes at gmail dot com. Not that I don't want to help you via this forum BUT this is Microsoft resource and there has been some attempt of moderation (removing posts) on certain topics/keyword in the past.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:05 PM
  • There is hope. 

Assuming you don't have a Money 2003 UK disk, I would copy your *.m11  to Genny.mny in your Documents folder.

Then install Money 2005 from the UK link link to "Money 2005 UK - QFE2"  in what is currently the second post in this forum. Then open Genny.mny. Enter your password.

If it does not work, maybe try your password in all-caps. Or other variations.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:11 PM
  • This is a good example of why you need to have full system backup of your system and user files using disk imaging. I use the excellent program Macrium Reflect Free. I also archive backup copies of my money file which is perhaps the most valuable file on my PC containing transactions going back over 20 years. I can easily recover using an archived if the money file becomes seriously corrupted, although this has not happened yet.

You also need a strategy for storing passwords. Some use a password manager. I store my passwords in a password protected Word file stored on a bitlocker protected USB drive and a backup USB drive. 

• Edited by SC489 Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:00 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Passwords are not designed to be bypassed for obvious reasons!

• Edited by SC489 Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:02 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:01 AM
  • I did email you yesterday hleofxquotes - have you received it?

Thursday, August 13, 2020 10:34 AM
  • Your *.m11 file was not created by your Money 2001 program, as Call has told you.

The 'Password not recognised' warning is often displayed when there is a mismatch between a country specific program and data file made in a different country (by a different country program) ~ even when the 'year' is the same for both.

To read your data file, or a backup of it, you will need a UK version of Money 2003, 2004 or 2005.  And, as you have been told, you can download a version of Money 2005 UK from this site. Alternatively you could consider buying a Money 2003 UK or Money 2004 UK installation disc through eBay.

I have never used Money's password ~ better I think to use an encryption utility ~ CryptoMite has served me well and I recommend it.

Teabag 

Friday, August 14, 2020 7:34 AM
  • I have never used Money's password ~ better I think to use an encryption utility 

Agree. I don't use Money's password either. I think it is more trouble than it worths. There are other tools that works better (better encryption, supported ...)

• For 2001, the password litterally provides no protection. Sunriise can open a 2001 file without password.
    • For post-2001, money only encrypts a portion of your file. Technically, the mny file is a collecion of "pages" and only a certain number of pages are encrypted.
    • Encryption technology has progressed significantly since last Money release. You will get better encryption support with other tools. The  easiest one to switch to is likely your OS-provided disk encryption.
    • Some cases, Money will "helpfully" cache the password. Overtime, user will get use to be able to open file without the password. Then boom, one day the "cache" disappears leaving user not remember what the originally password is.

Friday, August 14, 2020 3:54 PM
  • I have 3 different Money databases, each with their own Pocketsense routines, so the best feature of using the password is the last-chance step in insuring the correct Money database is about to be opened by the ofx file import.  The file name is displayed above the password input area, and if it isn't correct, I simply select File and point to the intended database.
    Friday, August 14, 2020 4:56 PM
  • I have 3 different Money databases, each with their own Pocketsense routines, so the best feature of using the password is the last-chance step in insuring the correct Money database is about to be opened by the ofx file import.  The file name is displayed above the password input area, and if it isn't correct, I simply select File and point to the intended database.

I invoke PS with a batch file. I have it look for the right *.lrd file to be open, and waits if it is not.

Friday, August 14, 2020 8:53 PM
  • Your *.m11 file was not created by your Money 2001 program, as Call has told you.

Hi Cal,

Do you know if *.m11 means the pre-converted file was a Money 2003 file? Or it means Money 2003 renamed the pre-converted file (regarless of what the version of pre-converted file was)

For example:

• I have 2001 version file: file1.mny
    • I installed 2003 and open file1.mny. Money 2003 make a copy of file1.mny as file1.mn9 or file1.m11?

Saturday, August 15, 2020 6:15 PM

Hi Cal,

Do you know if *.m11 means the pre-converted file was a Money 2003 file? Or it means Money 2003 renamed the pre-converted file (regarless of what the version of pre-converted file was)

For example:

• I have 2001 version file: file1.mny
    • I installed 2003 and open file1.mny. Money 2003 make a copy of file1.mny as file1.mn9 or file1.m11?

The *.m11 is a Money 2003 file, probably saved by Money Plus.

The *.mn9 was a Money 2001 file, probably saved by Money 2003.

Saturday, August 15, 2020 7:41 PM
  • The *.m11 is a Money 2003 file, probably saved by Money Plus.

Thanks.

I happened to have few sample files from various release(s). I did a quick experiment and it does look like Money can figure out which release the pre-converted file is from.

• I have Sunset on my laptop
    • Open 2001 file named money2001-pwd.mny
    • Sunset will make a copy of money2001-pwd.mny and name it as money2001-pwd.MN9 then continue with the conversion.

09/08/2019  12:59 PM         2,076,672 money2001-pwd.MN9
    08/15/2020  02:01 PM         4,984,832 money2001-pwd.mny

I've found this interesting because I always thought there is NO version information embedded in the .mny file but base on the above result it looks like there is: for a given input *.mmy file Sunset knows what version the incoming file is (mn9 which is 2001).

Other sample files I've tried

• 2004 -> M12
    • 2005 UK: will not open/convert (I sort of know this but I just want to try)
    • 2008: convert BUT make NO backup Mxx file

Actually, if you happend to have sample.mny from other versions,  I will be interested in receiving a copy. Currently I have

2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 (UK), 2008, Sunset.

Email to hleofxquotes at gmail dot com or share on dropbox. 

Regards,

Saturday, August 15, 2020 9:11 PM
  • Genny, as other have said, I think the best path forward is to try open a matching file with the install Money program

• If you have 2001 installed, first open sample.mny file that comes with the program to ensure that the installation is working properly.
    • Then find a file that ends with mn9 and try to open it.

If you only see m11 file, then it probably best to see if you can install Money 2003 and then do the same thing

• Open sample.mny to verify installation
    • Then open m11 file

If none of that works, install the 2005 UK version, again

• Open sample.mny to verify installation
    • Then try open all the mn? m?? mny mbf  files that you can find (on old disk, backup ...)

Don't try installing US Sunset, it will cause more confusion.

All of this predicated on the fact that the password you think you remember is actually the correct one. Given the fact that there is a m11, it tells me that you were able to enter a correct password at some point to proceed with the conversion that lead to the creation of file m11.

Good luck.

Saturday, August 15, 2020 9:22 PM
  • Incidentally, the readme file from Sunset has the following paragraph (with wrong info. Note 2001 -> m10)

To install Money on the same computer with an earlier version of Money:

1. Install Money in a different folder than the earlier version of Money.
    2. Make a copy of your earlier Money data file.
    3. Click the Microsoft Money Start menu icon to start Money.
    4. Money will detect your previous data file and will offer to convert it. Click OK.

Money creates a backup file. The name is based upon the version of the data file. The following table shows the backup file name if your Money data file were named My Money.mny.

Money 2007

MyMoney.m16

Money 2006

MyMoney.m15

Money 2005

MyMoney.m14

Money 2004

MyMoney.m13

Money 2003

MyMoney.m12

Money 2002

MyMoney.m11

Money 2001

MyMoney.m10

Money 2000

MyMoney.mn9

Saturday, August 15, 2020 10:15 PM
  • looks like the mny.inf file has it right though...

FILE_TYPE_MNY = “Microsoft Money file”
    FILE_TYPE_MNE = “Microsoft Money Essentials file”
    FILE_TYPE_MBF = “Microsoft Money backup file”
    FILE_TYPE_EV16 = “Microsoft Money Essentials backup.”
    FILE_TYPE_V16 = “Microsoft Money 2007 backup.”   .m16
    FILE_TYPE_V15 = “Microsoft Money 2006 backup.”   .m15
    FILE_TYPE_V14 = “Microsoft Money 2005 backup.”   .m14
    FILE_TYPE_V12 = “Microsoft Money 2004 backup.”   .m12
    FILE_TYPE_V11 = “Microsoft Money 2003 backup.”   .m11
    FILE_TYPE_V10 = “Microsoft Money 2002 backup.”   .m10
    FILE_TYPE_V9 = “Microsoft Money 2001 backup.”     .mn9
    FILE_TYPE_V8 = “Microsoft Money 2000 backup.”     .mn8
    FILE_TYPE_V7 = “Microsoft Money ’99 backup.”        .mn7
    FILE_TYPE_V6 = “Microsoft Money ’98 backup.”        .mn6
    FILE_TYPE_V5 = “Microsoft Money ’97 backup.”        .mn5
    FILE_TYPE_V4 = “Microsoft Money ’95 backup.”        .mn4
    FILE_TYPE_V3 = “Microsoft Money v3 backup.”        .mn3
    FILE_TYPE_V2 = “Microsoft Money v2 backup.”        .mn2
    FILE_TYPE_V1 = “Microsoft Money v1 backup.”        .mn1

• Edited by ameridan Sunday, August 16, 2020 4:05 AM
    Sunday, August 16, 2020 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

The problem is with the solutions above is that I always get asked for the password at the last stage....

I can't see how to resolve this step?

Sunday, August 16, 2020 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

The problem is with the solutions above is that I always get asked for the password at the last stage....

I can't see how to resolve this step?

That's your main problem-- when it asks for credentials? I have not had a problem similar to yours, so I have no clue when it asks.

When it asks for credentials, does it ask for an email address in addition to the password?  If so, that is a different thing, with different things to try.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 1:24 PM
  • no email address - it just says 'please type you current password for the .mny file'
    Sunday, August 16, 2020 1:26 PM
  • There is hope. 

Assuming you don't have a Money 2003 UK disk, I would copy your *.m11  to Genny.mny in your Documents folder.

Then install Money 2005 from the UK link link to "Money 2005 UK - QFE2"  in what is currently the second post in this forum. Then open Genny.mny. Enter your password.

If it does not work, maybe try your password in all-caps. Or other variations.

You probably tried that, but I thought I would expand on that. Examples, but try others:

thepasswordremembered
    thePasswordRemembered
    ThePasswordRemembered
    THEPASSWORDREMEMBERED

Sunday, August 16, 2020 1:42 PM
  • Hi Cal Learner,

I think the file is either Money 2001 or Money 2003 - when I installed Money 2003 the file was unable to convert as it was saved as an earlier verion.

I think the file is confused as I downloaded sunset in all the panic so it has converted everything.

Trust me, I have tried EVERY combination of passwords (100 times over).

I just need to remove the password protection from the file which is seeming impossible....

Sunday, August 16, 2020 1:57 PM
  • Hi Cal Learner,

I think the file is either Money 2001 or Money 2003 - when I installed Money 2003 the file was unable to convert as it was saved as an earlier verion.

I think the file is confused as I downloaded sunset in all the panic so it has converted everything.

Trust me, I have tried EVERY combination of passwords (100 times over).

I just need to remove the password protection from the file which is seeming impossible....

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the first time that you report remembering having installed Money 2003? That is a big deal IMO.

What do you know about that? When did you try the Money 2003 install, and what did you use to install Money 2003?

Do you have copies of your *.mn9 and *.m11 files saved on other media, such as a USB flash drive?

Sunday, August 16, 2020 2:08 PM
  • No I just installed Money 2003  today to try that and have now deleted it as I couldn't open the Money 2001 file.

Not save on any other media sadly.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 2:10 PM
  • Genny,

Establish when (date) you last were able to open your money file using version 2001. Locate on your laptop, old disk (the broken computer), backup any mny files from or prior to that date. Or look for file with suffix mn9, that represents the pre-converted files. Those are your best bets.

Once you have convert any of your file using US Sunset, the content of such files (and/or any backup files mbf from that point on) are suspect and are likely to no longer in good state. Keep beating on those files by trying various passwords is NOT going to work.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 2:14 PM
  • No I just installed Money 2003  today to try that and have now deleted it as I couldn't open the Money 2001 file.

Not save on any other media sadly.

Is getting a USB flash drive difficult for you, or did you not do it because you did not think that was important? The reason is if you mess up and delete or mung up one of the backups files. It also hedges against the possibility of a disk crash and losing all hope.

Communicate:

1. What did you use to install Money 2003 recently?
    2. Do you have reason to believe that was a UK version?
    3. What did you use to attempt reinstall of Money 2001?
    4. Do you have reason to believe that was a UK version?

Sunday, August 16, 2020 2:20 PM
  • No I was just being stupid - I backed up the files to dropbox which I thought was enough.

I have learned from my mistake!

1. I used this link 

download.microsoft.com.downla...s?M11USWEB.exe

2. Don't know but way US because of the www

3. I have the disk

4. Yes I believe so as I go the version when I bought a computer in the UK

Sunday, August 16, 2020 2:45 PM
  • No I was just being stupid - I backed up the files to dropbox which I thought was enough.

I have learned from my mistake!

1. I used this link 

download.microsoft.com.downla...s?M11USWEB.exe

2. Don't know but way US because of the www

3. I have the disk

4. Yes I believe so as I go the version when I bought a computer in the UK

1: The "US" does indicate that will not be useful to you. Similarly, Sunset will not be able to use your UK file.

3: I think that Money 2001 will not install onto  64-bit Windows. Your new computer is probably using 64-bit Windows.

I am not sure that the *.m11 file was created way back when you upgraded Money 2001 UK to 2003 UK, and forgot.

5. What are the dates on your *.mn9 and *.m11 files? Compare those to when your old computer failed.

6. Can you get the *.mny, *.mbf, *.mn9 and maybe *.m11 from the failed computer drive? Even if the Windows installation became corrupted, the data on the old drive can be useful. You would probably need help in accessing those. Getting files from old drives is pretty basic for people who specialize in computer support. They may use a USB adapter that can mount the old disk drive.  If you get the files, you might make copies of the files with different names to avoid confusing those files with something that came along later.

If you get copies from the old disk, I would look at the dates on the recovered files. 

If you are going to try install Money 2001 with your old disk, you might find an old Windows XP computer to do that.

For running Money on your new computer and asking , I expect the only hope to access your data is the Money 2005 UK installed via the link in the second post in this forum. You would want a file that predates the old computer failing.

I have not gone through what you are going through. 

Sunday, August 16, 2020 3:22 PM
    1. You cannot have been running Money 2001 for 25 years but could have been using Money for that long if you had upgraded from earlier versions of Money.
    2. When Windows converted to 64bit there was concern that some earlier versions of Money might include 16bit code, which cannot run on 64bit Windows. I have test installed a very early version of Money, from floppies, which ran successfully. So far as I now know, any version Microsoft Money can run on 64bit Windows.
    3. Since you are in the UK, the Money2005-UK-QFE2 file available from the link in the second, sticky post in this forum, should open and convert either your original .mny file or the .m11 file from your unsuccessful attempt to open the .mny file with Sunset. You will need your original password.
    4. A .mnn  file is a straight copy of the .mny file presented for upgrade. It is not modified in any way. The nn suffix indicates the version of Money which created the original .mny file.
    5. Many versions of Microsoft Works included a version of Money. If you installed Works after installing Money the Works installer would have upgraded your copy of Money if the Works version of Money was later than the version originally installed.
    6. I hope you have resolved the issue with your installation of Windows 10. Note that reverting to a system restore point does not necessarily give you a clean installation. It may just defer the reappearance of a problem created before the restore point was created.
    Sunday, August 16, 2020 5:17 PM
    1. You cannot have been running Money 2001 for 25 years but could have been using Money for that long if you had upgraded from earlier versions of Money.
    2. When Windows converted to 64bit there was concern that some earlier versions of Money might include 16bit code, which cannot run on 64bit Windows. I have test installed a very early version of Money, from floppies, which ran successfully. So far as I now know, any version Microsoft Money can run on 64bit Windows.
    3. Since you are in the UK, the Money2005-UK-QFE2 file available from the link in the second, sticky post in this forum, should open and convert either your original .mny file or the .m11 file from your unsuccessful attempt to open the .mny file with Sunset. You will need your original password.
    4. A .mnn  file is a straight copy of the .mny file presented for upgrade. It is not modified in any way. The nn suffix indicates the version of Money which created the original .mny file.
    5. Many versions of Microsoft Works included a version of Money. If you installed Works after installing Money the Works installer would have upgraded your copy of Money if the Works version of Money was later than the version originally installed.
    6. I hope you have resolved the issue with your installation of Windows 10. Note that reverting to a system restore point does not necessarily give you a clean installation. It may just defer the reappearance of a problem created before the restore point was created.

1. Could have been running for 20 years.

2. Interesting. Good to know.

3. Money 2001 had weaker passwording. That could be a plus in this case.

4. I was wondering if the date of the file might have changed.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 5:21 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ve had some success after downloading Money 2005 – I think the password is accepted but the backup file freezes when I try to open in through Money 2005 – do I need to do anything to be able to open it?

Thanks

Monday, August 17, 2020 11:09 AM
  • I've not used 2005 so I don't have hand-on experience. I don't know if it needs any addtional "patching". Check the stick threads for this forum.

My recommendation:

First, make sure to preserve all Money related files. If you have not done so, backup/store away all .mny, .mbf, mn9, m11, m12, m13, m14, m15, m16 and work only with copy so that you don't accidentally overwrite a good copy. There are tools out there that will let you easily search your disk for those files. You can also use Windows explorer search box. Just enter "ext:mny" to search for all files with suffix mny.

Three possibilities come to mind

1. Money 2005 installation is bad.
    2. Your mny is OK but Money 2005 can't open it because of mis-match version, locale (UK vs US)
    3. Your mny file is bad

On #1: Money 2005 comes with a sample.mny file. Find and open it. If you can open it, that will give some confidence that your Money 2005 installation is OK.

On #2: In this case, the mny file is structually OK but Money 2005 UK can't open because the mny file is not in the format 2005 UK is expecting. I suspect this is your case. The mny file you are trying to open: was it created/converted at some point by US Sunset? The best chance you have here is to determine when you were last succesfully open your mny file and find any mny, mbf files with that dates or prior to that.

Another option to see if your mny is structually OK is to use a tool called sunriise and see if it can read the content of your mny file. If it can read your current mny file, that will give us another data point. You will need to install Java on your laptop. You can download the tool here: https://bitbucket.org/hleofxquotesteam/dist-sunriise/wiki/Home

On #3: there is not much that you can do. Next best action is to determine when you were last succesfully open your mny file and find any mny, mbf files with that dates or prior to that.

This is how the sunriise sunriise-mdb-explorer window looks like for a given 2005 mny file

Monday, August 17, 2020 2:46 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ve had some success after downloading Money 2005 – I think the password is accepted but the backup file freezes when I try to open in through Money 2005 – do I need to do anything to be able to open it?

Thanks

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically 
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\
    with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your Ethernet cable, or turn off WiFi, or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes. Going forward, you will use the Windows Firewall to block the access for speed. But for now, just block manually.

Close Money. Open the file that you want to try, by right-clicking the file and choosing Open.

If you get in, in Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, for your upon-exit backup file,
    Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a filename for your
    backup; the file location remembered from your old file probably
    does not exist on the new computer.  I suggest you plug in a USB
    flash drive, and Browse to that for the location for your scheduled
    backup.

If you get in, change the backup locations shown in
    Tools->Settings->BackupOptions to locations that exist on your
    computer currently. It is usually best to Browse to a location. 

I forget how it works on Money 2005, but for the scheduled backup, if you can choose to backup to a USB drive, that drive must have less than 2 GB of free space. I use a USB flash drive for my scheduled backup.

Let us know how it goes. If you get in and saved, we can talk about that Windows Firewall thing.

Monday, August 17, 2020 2:48 PM
  • I have a couple of ideas. If you re-used your passwords in the past, could it be possible that you used the same MS Money password on other websites back in the 2000s? If so, my idea might work.

A lot of early websites were hacked and the passwords were leaked. There are several security websites that collect this information to inform users if their passwords were leaked (the most well known of these is haveibeenpwned.com, but it does not display passwords). I still use my old e-mail account from the early 2000s. I can see several passwords I created years ago that I no longer use.

Although haveibeenpwned.com does not show passwords, there are others that will show you your password - but only if you can prove you are the account holder by confirming your e-mail address. One such service is spycloud.com (I can't vouch for them, but they don't look nefarious to me). I confirmed my e-mail account with them and saw some old passwords I used (and some of them were random passwords that are probably mistakenly included).

If you have access to e-mail accounts that you used back then, I suggest using a free service like spycloud.com with your old e-mail address. Then note the passwords associated with that account and try them on MS Money.

I found spycloud.com by searching for "haveibeenpwned.com alternatives that show password" in my favorite search engine. The website is a little hard to navigate, but there is a free portal you can sign up for, and then you need to display all the records. I also see CreditKarma.com, which is now owned by Intuit, also has an ID Monitoring page that shows partial passwords - maybe that could help jog your memory.

Friday, August 21, 2020 5:40 AM