WLOC - Backup and Restore between computers - Please HELP :) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am actually posting this on behalf of my father.

This is the scenario.

PC 1:

WLOC Installed and Backup is Run Every Day to an external USB Drive

PC 2:

WLOC Installed but has been switched off for a couple month.

Recently PC1 crashed and he has tried reinstalling Windows but to no avail. He decided that he wants to restore his WLOC Backup from PC1 and restore it to PC2. The problem that is happening is when he tried to restore a backup on PC2 his last backup is listed from January 2008 not last night.

My question relates to how OneCare backups up data? I have never used the product but work in IT so I understand that normall backup program would backup a system to a specific file format say File1.BAK etc until you have your whole pc backed up. Does OneCare work in the same way or does it merely do a copy backup?

Also how does OneCare identify backup's? It is possible that PC1 and PC2 where configured differently with different backup locations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Humphrey

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:30 AM

Answers

• Hello, Humphrey.

Jim is correct in the explanation of the backup structure. And, from your explanation of what your father is experiencing, it sounds like he may be following the correct procedure at least part way, but it is quite difficult to diagnose and help 3rd hand. I recommend that your father contact OneCare support for assistance. As a subscriber, he has access to phone and chat support. A support technician should be able to remotely assist by taking control of your father's PC to walk him through the restore process.

Note that when following the restore wizard, and using a custom restore, you have the ability to browse a list of files that will be restored from the selected backup before actually performing the restore. This may help diagnose what files he is seeing in the restore process.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:57 AM

All replies

• The backup with the Jan. 2008 is most likely the last backup from PC2. On PC2 when a restore is started there is an option to select files from "another computer" and this should point to the backups from PC1. The procedure is explained in detail here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us

One Care backs up by file type, full backup on first run then incrementally and stored as zip files. PC1 and PC2 could have been configured to back up to different locations.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Hi JimR1,

Thanks for you assistance.

Apparently when my Dad selects :

a. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
    b. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
    c. Click the backup from which you want to restore the files.

The earliest backup is from January again.

I was just wondering when you need to select the location of the backup would this be a Drive Letter or an actualy Folder Path?

Also my dad says that he can see the files in his External USB Drive and they are all a couple monthd old. I am assuming he is actually talking about Folders and Files like you would see in Windows Explorer but since I have never used OneCare and you have just told me that they store the backup in ZIP files he should actually be able to see the "Files" by using explorer. If he did use explorer all there would be are  abunch of zip files? Am I correct in saying this?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Humphrey

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Hello Humphrey,

As far as I can tell your Dad is using the correct procedure to restore the files from PC1 to PC2. I don't really know why the recent backups are not being found. I can't tell you the exact folder structure of the One Care backups because my backups are on a server which is disassembled right now. From memory the parent folder should be something like One Care Backups (computer name)(year). The actual data files will be One Care Backup Pt.1.zip, One Care Backup Pt.2.zip etc., so you are correct that browsing them with Windows Explorer yields very little useful information.

You could restore all One Care backups to a folder, then browse the folder to see if the files you need exist in that backup set then drag and drop them but I think the best solution to restoring the wanted data to the other computer is working with One Care support.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Hello, Humphrey.

Jim is correct in the explanation of the backup structure. And, from your explanation of what your father is experiencing, it sounds like he may be following the correct procedure at least part way, but it is quite difficult to diagnose and help 3rd hand. I recommend that your father contact OneCare support for assistance. As a subscriber, he has access to phone and chat support. A support technician should be able to remotely assist by taking control of your father's PC to walk him through the restore process.

Note that when following the restore wizard, and using a custom restore, you have the ability to browse a list of files that will be restored from the selected backup before actually performing the restore. This may help diagnose what files he is seeing in the restore process.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:57 AM