Verify Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• How do I verify the Connector softwre version on each client?

Thanks,
    Jamie

Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:24 PM

All replies

• How do I verify the Connector softwre version on each client?

Thanks,
    Jamie

You can open the Console and see the component numbers there (Settings button, Resources tab).
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:50 PM
  • If Windows Home Server is not reporting that a client needs to have the connector updated, then the versions on that client and the server match.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Is it normal for 1 of the computers on the network to prompt you to update the Connector software but receive no such prompts on other computers?  I followed the prompts and updated the computer.  The other computers can still connect even though the Connector software has not been updated.  Is it possible that those computer are setup to download and install updates without any prompts?  If so, where are these settings located?
    Thanks,
    Jamie

• Proposed as answer by EnerEtoc Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:38 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:30 PM

• It is nice to know the server is taking care of the version matching, however it would be nice to have a simple version number accessible somewhere since the connector is still not identified for many people running windows 7 under x64.

I was runing the beta and all was fine, then downloaded the update (after following the instruction on how to remove the beta prior to installation) and everything is broken... not really impressed by this and by the answer I see everywhere from MS people who seem to be denying the fact that this release is not properly working with the client connector software for quite a few people... this is a simple client software communication why is it so complicated to get the connector connecting when remote desktop is fine, share are fine as well...
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Is it normal for 1 of the computers on the network to prompt you to update the Connector software but receive no such prompts on other computers?

It's possible (I had it happen).  For me, the clients that updated automatically were Win7 (obviously new installs with PP2 Connector software installed at the time, which doesn't have a manual update option), while the one that didn't update automatically was XP (originally installed RTM Connector software when a manual update option was available).

I followed the prompts and updated the computer.  The other computers can still connect even though the Connector software has not been updated.  Is it possible that those computer are setup to download and install updates without any prompts?

Yes.

If so, where are these settings located?

No doubt it's in the registry, but I wouldn't worry about it.  If you're not getting any prompt to update (meaning the icon in the system tray is green), then it's already been updated (or, if you really have to know, just look in the event logs on your clients).

Thanks,
    Jamie

Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:00 PM
  • It is nice to know the server is taking care of the version matching, however it would be nice to have a simple version number accessible somewhere since the connector is still not identified for many people running windows 7 under x64.

If the Connector software is installed (and no red notification in the system tray with a notice saying it needs to be updated), just open the Console and look at the component numbers.  If it is red, then update the software.

I was runing the beta and all was fine, then downloaded the update (after following the instruction on how to remove the beta prior to installation) and everything is broken... not really impressed by this and by the answer I see everywhere from MS people who seem to be denying the fact that this release is not properly working with the client connector software for quite a few people...

It is working for the vast majority of people, otherwise this forum would be absolutely flooded with questions/complaints.  And by the way, MVPs such as myself are not "MS people" at all.

this is a simple client software communication why is it so complicated to get the connector connecting when remote desktop is fine, share are fine as well...

Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:08 PM