Client restore and Win 7 pro RRS feed

• Question

• When I went to restore A win 7 Pro computer from my server I noticed it does not have the 100MB boot partition in the backup. Does WHS 2011 restore both partitions to win 7 pro?I see no place to select it on the backup either.

How do I recreate that partition?

I can see the 100 MB on my Win 7 ultimate PC.

Emmett

Emmett

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:25 PM

Answers

• Yes it does if it's there. Try turning off backups and then turning them on again - you should be given a list of partitions to back up - the System Reserved partition should show up there.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:19 PM

All replies

• Yes it does if it's there. Try turning off backups and then turning them on again - you should be given a list of partitions to back up - the System Reserved partition should show up there.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:19 PM
  • I used the 100 MB partition from my computer which is Win 7 Ultimate then reloaded my wife's files onto the 2nd partition. It seems to be working ok.

I then did basically did what you mentioned by backing up the new Hard Drive which then asked me if I wanted both partitions which I selected. In a few days of backup's I will check it again to see that all parts backed up.

I have no idea as to why none of the old backups had that partition. I had reloaded that PC before I thought. Anyway she is happy now with a newer SSD versus the old mechanical drive.

Thanks

Emmett

Emmett

Monday, June 25, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

Wow, glad to know the issue got clarified. Thanks for your time and sharing.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:09 AM
  • When installing win 7, if your hard drive is already partitioned it will not make the 100mb partition. Installing on an unpartitioned drive will result in the 100 mb partition being created.

My understanding is that the 100MB partition is just for pre-cached repair files if you need to perform a repair install or any out-of-OS restore. If this partition does not exist repairing from a DVD will take a little bit longer as it will need to load files into memory from the DVD rather than the hard drive.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:43 PM