Event Monitoring Add-In RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've developed a new Add-In.  It's an NT-Service that listens on event logs and sends emails when events match specific RegEx's.  Its got a WHS Tab Extender for configuration.  This is just a first version.  I plan on enhancing it with monitoring of home server events and S.M.A.R.T. monitoring.

I'd really appreciate some comments and feedback so that I cane improve it.  There's a form mailer on my website to contact me.

You can find it at:  http://www.davemercer.org/projects/WHSEventMonitor/default.aspx

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:21 AM

All replies

• thanks Dave - looks good :-)

Andrew

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Just DL'd Thanks.

Monday, October 29, 2007 3:16 PM
  • Looks fine like this...

and I was wondering if we can have a plug-in that directly show the selected level of events in WHS console (and some SMART info for the drive, and some hardware summary too like temperatures, etc...) ?

Cheers,

Monday, October 29, 2007 3:35 PM
  •  

Not sure what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?

DAve

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

I will try to be a little more clearer... but I have to do with my English ;-)

Your plug-in is sending mail of Events, but I was wondering if it can directly report Events (and SMART & hardware T° for example, etc) in the WHS console, like in the Event viewer, in order to be remotly viewed in the health tab of the WHS Console.

That's an idea, just in order to watch your server hardware health from distance.

I'm not sure if I'm very clear... but feel free to ask me ;-)

Cheers,

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:47 PM
  • So the Idea is to have a scrolling TextBox on the console that shows filtered events, n'est pas?  Could do, maybe will once I get through some other stuff.

You can sort of get the same thing by not aggregating events.  Then they will be sent to you in Email as they occur.  Not the best UX though.

I'll give it some thought.

Thanks

DAve

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Dave,

Yes, that' something like this, and some others infos to keep an eye to the hardware... perhaps in the health tab.

I'll really like to fing a plug-in like this.

Cheers

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:46 PM
  • v1.0.1.0 is available

http://davemercer.org/projects/WHSEventMonitor/ReleaseNotes.aspx

Version 1.0.1.0 - Oct 29, 2007

Bug Fixes based on user feedback

• Removed spurious tooltip and fixed typos - Jerry
    • Clarified UI a little - Roy
      • added tooltips
      • changed Regex defaults in event grid view to default to "All" versus ".*"
      • warning dialog if a user selects "All" for the event types in a log to avoid spam
    • Changed msi name from SDK default - Simon
    • I now allow for unauthenticated SMTP. - Jake
          I cannot test this on my hosting service so pls let me know if it works.
    • Fixed Aggregation timer bug that nobody has noticed

Important: Uninstall any old versions first.  Failure to do so is an undefined situation.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:43 AM
  • I am unable to download the update. I assume that the site is just down temporarily. Has anybody gotten the most recent version? 1.1.1.0 I believe.

Cancel that. I was able to DL from the link here. But not from the link on my WHS in his Addin. The page opened up and looked like it would work but no DL from there.

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:34 PM
  • It seems to work for me  The 1.1.1.0 update is at: http://www.davemercer.org/projects/WHSEventMonitor/ReleaseNotes.aspx

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:27 PM