System Drive Letter Changed. RRS feed

• Question

• I was a bit of an Id10t tonight, and was replacing the Graphics card in my WHS box tonight, and before I started it back up, I forgot to check that everything else was still plugged in, and I hadn't bumped any connectors loose.

You can see where this is going........ I have 4 500Gb interal SATA drives in the system, and I had bumped the poewr connector out of the one that has the sys volume on it.
    When I booted the machine, I got the non system disk error. I opened the case again, and plugged the drive back in, but now one of my Data volumes is showing as C: drive, and the sys volume is showing as E: drive.

I have tried booting from a UBCD and using a partition manager to set the drive letters back the way they should be, but the changes don't stick when I reboot, and I'm still getting the non system disk error.

Does anyone know of a way I can set the drive letters back to the way they should be, or do my problems run deeper than this small issue.

I have yet to run a disk check on the drives, but will do that shortly, failing any other way, can I get all my data off the data volumes easily, as when I try to boot from the WHS disk, I don't get any repair options.

I'd really appreciate an ideas anyone has, as I had got pretty close to filling the 900ishGb of the Data Vol, and would prefer not to lose any of it.

Thanks
    Adrian
    Friday, March 5, 2010 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked the boot order in your BIOS - maybe when it detected that the sys drive was not present it reordered your drives in BIOS.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:08 PM