Discovery missing in WHS2011? RRS feed

• Question

• In WHSv1 there was a program installed in program files\windows home server\ on the client client PC's that was called Discovery. With the programma you could easely connect to anthoter WHS without installing the connector software again. I am missing this in WHS2011 or is it replaced by something else?
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• No, it hasn't been replaced, and yes, it's gone. I don't know why Microsoft chose to remove it, however. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:23 PM
  • No, it hasn't been replaced, and yes, it's gone. I don't know why Microsoft chose to remove it, however. 

Ok, THX. And as a real WHS diehard do you know if there is a work arround. I am installing a lot of WHS2011 servers and do not want to install the connector software on my own laptop over an over again.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:05 PM
  • "... installing a lot ..." If you're installing in businesses, I would suggest either SBS Essentials (same platform with some nice-to-haves for a small or micro business) or waiting for a Storage Server Essentials box to hit the market...

As for workarounds:

• Set up a virtual machine.
    • Take a snapshot just before joining to the server.
    • Join to the server and finish server setup.
    • Revert when done.

Or do what Microsoft intends, which is deliver the server in "ready to finish" state, i.e. OS installed but configuration not completed and no joined clients. Then join a client belonging to your, umm, "client". :)

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:34 PM