Updated on Vista SP1 and now remote claims I need to install Desktop Enhancements on the remote PC RRS feed

• General discussion

• I may have updated slightly unconventionally, but this morning I used Remote Desktop (from Windows, not Live Mesh) to connect to a Vista machine to get the Live Mesh client updated on that machine. It appears to have updated fine - or should I say, "appeared."

However, subsequent to that, and after having disconnected my Windows Remote Desktop session, when I try to connect to that PC via Remote access through Live Mesh, I get a message stating that I need to install the Desktop Enhancements on that PC. Note that they were installed previously and I do have UAC enabled. I can bypass this message and the session appears to connect, but I only get a black screen when I connect to that PC.

I connected again via Windows Remote Desktop and there is no Information icon advising me to install the Desktop Enhancements in the notifier.

I also did the same remote update of an XP machine and have no issues with that, by the way.

I will be filing a bug on Connect, but won't get the logs from that machine attached until later this weekend when I get a chance to physically go to that machine.

-steve 
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, August 29, 2008 4:01 PM