Copy DVD photos, etc. directly on server? RRS feed

• Question

• I've still got the DVD drive in the server - nowhere else to put it! - and was wondering if I could just copy the contents from it to a hard drive directly, either with Remote Desktop on a client or on the server itself. (I left the screen/keyboard attached as I've had so many connection problems.)

The WHS Dummies book warns against accessing individual drives from My Computer, I think because this effectively avoids the WHS jurisdiction (so to speak). But if I'm just copy (hundreds and hundreds of) family photos, plus three or four very short videos, from the DVD, will that be okay?

I could go through a client and copy it all into a shared folder, but this will take a couple of hours at best so I'd like to leave the server to do it's stuff alone, if possible.

Cheers,

Chris
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:16 AM

Answers

• If you copy files that way, make sure you use the network shares, \\ Server\share
    Do not access the drives directly as you do on a desktop computer.

However, one thing to remember is that when you use the desktop to copy your files, you'll most likely hava an antivirus software running, and you'll reduce the risk of copying infected files to the server.

Friday, January 29, 2010 1:27 PM

All replies

• If you copy files that way, make sure you use the network shares, \\ Server\share
    Do not access the drives directly as you do on a desktop computer.

However, one thing to remember is that when you use the desktop to copy your files, you'll most likely hava an antivirus software running, and you'll reduce the risk of copying infected files to the server.

Friday, January 29, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Thanks for that, Bjurran. I knew it wasn't a simple cut-and-paste to the drives, but I couldn't remember the requirement to use the actual folder addresses. (The WHS book is now back at the library.)

I tried to get Remote Desktop to work but got an error about 'not in the user group' (or something). I'll have to search around to see what's going on with that.

Cheers,

Chris
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Ahhhh - you have to log-on to Remote Desktop as administrator, not as your actual log-on name (even if you have adminstrator privilages)...

Easy when you know how!

Cheers,

Chris
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Glad to hear that it works.
    However, you mention that you left the screen and keyboard attached due to connection problems. If this is the network connection, and if you haven't solved this yet I suggest you ask the people in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/threads about this. You shouldn't drop the connection to your server.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:57 PM