Cannot retrieve user access level permissions for folder. Error 8004008A RRS feed

• Question

• Please help. I am getting the error "Cannot retrieve user access level permissions for folder" with the error code 8004008A on my WHS2011 system via the Sharing tab in the WHS 2011 Dashboard for Server Folders. The error started after I deleted my "old" main Music folder on my system directly from Explorer (not from the dashboard). When I was deleting the main Music folder, it noted that some subfolders could not be deleted. I did a reboot of the server and was able to delete the files. The dashboard then noted that the folder was missing and I could remap it back to a new folder (which I have done previously) I then tried to unshare another folder via the WHS dashboard and the process was taking so long that I felt that the dashboard froze. That folder now has a status of "deleteting" labeled next to it on the dashboard. I tried to then remap the Music folder from the dashboard to the new location but the dashboard just idles.

After checking, now ALL shared folders listed in the Dashboard give me the error "Cannot retrieve user access level permissions for folder" with error code 8004008A. The folder shares all still work on the client machines but the dashboard properties is broken and the remote site notes that I have 0 shared folders.

I read the other threads where there does not appear to be an answer and was hoping that there is now an update/fix that can be applied.

I unfortunately did not yet have a backup/image of the WHS2011 system as I have been working this past month loading data and getting the server set up properly for my needs.

Monday, March 26, 2012 11:47 PM

Answers

• OK, I was able to fix my error 8004008A on my WHS2011 system thanks to a similar issue I found in this thread in regards to their media file changes not updating on their Remote Web Access site:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

After looking for different solutions (actually any solution), this appeared to be the closet answer to error 8004008A that I could find and it luckily worked for me!

1 - Restart the WHS2011 server
    2 - Start services.msc on WHS2011
    3 - Stop the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
    4 - Navigate to "C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" on the WHS2011 server and rename the file that begins with "currentdatabase_"
    5 - Start up the WHS2011 dashboard, navigate to Server Settings -> Media
    6 - Under the "Media server is: on/off" option, toggle the switch back to on. If it is alredy on, turn it off first then turn it back on.
    7 - Look back at the "C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" folder and watch the "currentdatabase_" file get recreated. (This rebuild took my system a couple of hours to rebuild and the size went from 900mb down to 600mb.)
    8 - Restart the server again after the "currentdatabase_" file is finished and the 8004008A error is now gone from the WHS2011 dashboard's Server Folders! The remote Remote Web Access site also then showed the correct folders being shared.

Hope this helps other people and provides an alternate option to doing a complete re-install for those who run into this issue in the future.

• Marked as answer by FourDoor Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:42 PM

All replies

• In addition, I cannot create new shares via the WHS2011 dashboard but I can make additional shares via Windows Explorer.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 11:59 PM
  • I suggest a Server re-installation as being the most direct and reliable way of getting what you want - activities outside the Dashboard can have unexpected results. The whole of the disk where the Server is installed will be deleted so make sure that you have a backup of the data on that hard disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:42 AM
  • I suggest a Server re-installation as being the most direct and reliable way of getting what you want - activities outside the Dashboard can have unexpected results. The whole of the disk where the Server is installed will be deleted so make sure that you have a backup of the data on that hard disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

That's what the other thread noted but that seems to be rather extreme for such a small error. I cannot imagine the WHS2011 Dashboard not having registry keys or config files that control the shares that cannot be reset. All other functions of the server work fine but not the Server Folders tab in the dashboard. The settings and permissions that the dashboard created are still present. The link between the server shares and the dashboard is just what appears to be broken/out of sync.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:29 AM
  • OK, I was able to fix my error 8004008A on my WHS2011 system thanks to a similar issue I found in this thread in regards to their media file changes not updating on their Remote Web Access site:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

After looking for different solutions (actually any solution), this appeared to be the closet answer to error 8004008A that I could find and it luckily worked for me!

1 - Restart the WHS2011 server
    2 - Start services.msc on WHS2011
    3 - Stop the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
    4 - Navigate to "C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" on the WHS2011 server and rename the file that begins with "currentdatabase_"
    5 - Start up the WHS2011 dashboard, navigate to Server Settings -> Media
    6 - Under the "Media server is: on/off" option, toggle the switch back to on. If it is alredy on, turn it off first then turn it back on.
    7 - Look back at the "C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" folder and watch the "currentdatabase_" file get recreated. (This rebuild took my system a couple of hours to rebuild and the size went from 900mb down to 600mb.)
    8 - Restart the server again after the "currentdatabase_" file is finished and the 8004008A error is now gone from the WHS2011 dashboard's Server Folders! The remote Remote Web Access site also then showed the correct folders being shared.

Hope this helps other people and provides an alternate option to doing a complete re-install for those who run into this issue in the future.

• Marked as answer by FourDoor Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:42 PM
  • I had the same issue, but the above didn't fix my server.

I started restoring the system drive from backups, and finally got one that restores the users and add-ins.  The restore that worked was the day before I activated the "watch folders" element of iHomeServer.  Prior to that date I was using iHomeServer without a problem (although I was manually moving files to the music folder).  So if you are using iHomeServer with a "watch folder" you might want to try turning this off.  I don't know if this was the cause, but all the backups starting from the day this was activated have the same problem (can't see users or addins, plus on a new computer the connector software couldn't find the server, even though it was there).  It's an awful big coincidence if iHomeServer wasn't the cause.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 7:34 PM