Backup Cleanup Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting an error with backup cleanup that says "An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation".  I have tried the repair button (as Ken Warren suggested) and after it successfully completes I get the same error message when I run "Cleanup Now".  The cleanup runs to about 8% completion before I get the error.

I've also run CHKDSK on my computer as Ken Warren suggested in this post.  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee  It found no errors on any drive.

I didn't notice this problem until I noticed my harddisk space was filling up.  Then I saw one of the computers being backed up wasn't getting cleaned up on Sundays.  The backups for the other computer is getting cleaned up - no issues.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?  Would removing the computer with the problem from the server delete all the backups associated with it?  Then I could start over - I'd restore any files I think I might need before removing the computer.  Can I manually delete backups I don't want?

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

• You can try removing the computer, then repairing the backup database again and running a cleanup. Then add the computer back as a client.

Failing that, the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief tells you where the backup database is. Follow the instructions for backing the database up, but instead of copying it to external storage, delete it at the appropriate time. This will fully reset the entire backup database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:20 PM