HD assignment RRS feed

• Question

• I went to install “vail” last night using 160 g HD but the sw said this was not large enough. Therefore I plan to run it on a 500g HD. Is it possible to set up the system so HD1 holds the OS HD2 is data and HD 3 is a back up of HD2 ?

Any information will be greatly received on how the HD’s are configured by “Vail”.

Ade ....

Friday, May 28, 2010 10:52 AM

Answers

• Why not read all the documentation available (the Release Notes and Getting Started Guide from Connect, the laundry list of known issues and other announcements here)? The answer to that question is there, and you will want to understand the limitations and functionality of this beta product...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ade911 Friday, May 28, 2010 1:28 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:24 PM

All replies

• It's likely that your "160 GB" HD was just slightly too small. I was able to install onto a server which had a pair of 160 GB drives for test purposes.

As for managing drives: like V1, Vail will manage the drives itself. That said, you can exclude the system drive from the storage pool if you want, and you can then extend the system partition to fill the rest of the drive. As is documented above (see the announcement "What's new in Drive Extender for 'Vail'") Vail will manage disks in the storage pool. If you want to back up your server (presumably to take the backup off-site for safe keeping), you can add another disk which will be dedicated for that task.

Friday, May 28, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Hello ken,

Many thanks for the quick response.

Does the system Raid the data ( like raid 1) , so if one HD fails I can recover data from another ?

Friday, May 28, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Why not read all the documentation available (the Release Notes and Getting Started Guide from Connect, the laundry list of known issues and other announcements here)? The answer to that question is there, and you will want to understand the limitations and functionality of this beta product...
    • Marked as answer by Ade911 Friday, May 28, 2010 1:28 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:24 PM