Cannot Update with WGA Kit's Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• My Win XP Pro installation is not genuine (blocked VLK, license type: Volume). So, I have acquired a WGA Kit for Windows XP Pro in order to get my installation of windows genuine. I already got a new product key by email while I am still waiting to receive the CD.
    Now I have tried to use the "Windows Product Key Update Tool" (retrieved at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=fe4dab2b-e317-40f8-8299-bfc33e1b6c7d) in order to change over to the new product key. Unfortunately, this fails just after the tool having collected some information (without any problems or alert) and myself having entered the new product key. When clicking on "Next" a dialog box opens saying that due to technical or connection problems the update was impossible and that I should contact Microsoft's technical support. Now, the technical support here seems to be a bit let’s say slow, so I would like to ask if anybody out there has had the same problem a/o knows what could have gone wrong and how to solve it.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:15 PM

Answers

• Betzw,

Unfortunately no. The product key tool failed and now your best option is to perform a clean installation. Currently the installation of Windows is non-genuine and can't be verified. Sometimes non-genuine Windows may be infected with root kits, spyware, malware, Trojans, and who knows what else. The best course of action is reformatting the hard drive then a fresh Windows installation. 

Whether you have a new computer, are upgrading an older one, or are re-installing Windows XP, start here to make installing and setting up Windows XP as smooth as possible:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx.  Please review all the various links located on the left portions of the page. There is a wealth of information which will help you. Also I would like to provide you with a link for Security At Home located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx. Please take the time and look @ all the information. You may use this link as well as the other links to keep your machine running as smoothly as possible.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:06 PM
  • You can try that method. First and foremost please ensure all your data such as pictures, word files, email contacts, favorites or whatever else you have that is important is backed up somehow in case of any problems. Please keep in mind that you can't be sure about the previous installation because it wasn't genuine. I would hate for a problem to be lurking and present itself down the road and cause major data loss. 

Thank you and best of luck.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Wolfgang,

This may be a possibility but I don't know all the details of your ISP. Seriously though the best method for you @ this point is to completly reformat the hard drive and start fresh. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:25 PM

All replies

• When you receive the genuine Windows XP CD in the mail, backup your important personal files and proceed with a "clean install".

Please see:

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:22 PM
  • But doesn't this mean that after the clean install I need to reinstall all my programs, restore my data and files along with all my custom configurations.
    Isn't there a way to get my installation of XP Pro genuine without the need for this?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Betzw,

Unfortunately no. The product key tool failed and now your best option is to perform a clean installation. Currently the installation of Windows is non-genuine and can't be verified. Sometimes non-genuine Windows may be infected with root kits, spyware, malware, Trojans, and who knows what else. The best course of action is reformatting the hard drive then a fresh Windows installation. 

Whether you have a new computer, are upgrading an older one, or are re-installing Windows XP, start here to make installing and setting up Windows XP as smooth as possible:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx.  Please review all the various links located on the left portions of the page. There is a wealth of information which will help you. Also I would like to provide you with a link for Security At Home located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx. Please take the time and look @ all the information. You may use this link as well as the other links to keep your machine running as smoothly as possible.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Thanks a lot Stephen!

Nevertheless, re-installing was actually what I wanted to avoid when I bought the WGA Kit.
    Isn't there a way at least to try to transform the current installation into a genuine one without loosing my programs, settings etc.? What about "Repair Install"?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:19 PM
  • You can try that method. First and foremost please ensure all your data such as pictures, word files, email contacts, favorites or whatever else you have that is important is backed up somehow in case of any problems. Please keep in mind that you can't be sure about the previous installation because it wasn't genuine. I would hate for a problem to be lurking and present itself down the road and cause major data loss. 

Thank you and best of luck.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Stephen,

I have just read in some other thread that the Key Update Tool needs a "full two-way" connection to the Internet in order to perform its task. Now, my ISP offers ADSL access to its own network for free and to the Internet based on a fee. Therefore, my Internet access comes without a public IP, which basically means that it is not possible to build up a connection with my computer from outside the ISP subnet (this obviously includes Microsoft). All conections to the Internet must be instantiated from my PC. Do you think that this could be a reason why the Key Update Tool fails?

Ciao Wolfgang
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Wolfgang,

This may be a possibility but I don't know all the details of your ISP. Seriously though the best method for you @ this point is to completly reformat the hard drive and start fresh. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:25 PM
  • Thanks a lot again Stephen!
    I understand that reformatting and making a clean install is the best way to get to a secure installation without any viruses or Trojan horses, etc.

My point is, that I am quite confident regarding the integrity of my actual installation and therefore I would prefer to transform it into a genuine one without re-install just the way it is describe with the “Product Key Update Tool”. This is the reason why I'm still trying to understand what concretely goes wrong when running the tool on my system. Unfortunately, the tool doesn't give much information about what has gone wrong. Do you know if there is a way to stabilize this or to make my copy genuine without the need to connect to the Internet (e.g. does the WGA Kit contain a program which does what the KeyUpdateTool.exe does but consulting the kit's CD rather than the Internet)?

Ciao Wolfgang

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Betzw,

No I don't unfortunately. Product activation needs to call back to the server. Have you tried other alternatives such as an internet cafe, where you work there or other means?

stephen holm, MS

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Ciao Stephen,

Are we sure that it's just the product activation which fails? Isn't there more about the key updating which can fail?
    If I could know exactly what's going wrong, it would obviously be much easier to make hypothesis.

Unfortunately, in my case I have to deal with a desktop PC, so a little bit hard to transport ... but actually I have already thought about it. Further, at work is not possible as we are behind a proxy .

Do you have an idea on how I could check if it's actually just the activation which fails, e.g. is there a tool which just performs the activation?

Btw, at least here in Italy product activation is also possible to do by phone, so if I find a way on how to put in the product key into the system (replacing the blocked one with the one I got with the WGA Kit) and then do the activation by phone I should be OK. What do you think?

One night after and back at work I was thinking a lot about what you said about key update and product activation and therefore I revisited the page (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx) regarding the “Product Key Update Tool”. From what I read there it seems as if the key update tool does NOT perform any activation by itself (it just update the key), but that this must be done after a system restart. In my case things fail exactly between step 2 and step 3 (as described on the key update tool page). So the failure happens before trying to activate the key, or more precisely during the process of  changing my Windows installation to update the product key; and also this process seems to involve a call back to some server …

So, I think it is still not clear what is concretely going wrong during the process of changing the product key for my installation. One possibility of course could be a failing connection to some server. But there might be also other reasons, maybe even quite stupid ones (e.g. some double check fails).

At the end I am back at what I have said already before, it seems to be necessary to first find some way to change the product key in my Windows installation (maybe even “manually”) and then proceed with the activation once this is surely done. But how …?

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:21 PM