none
I Have Been Receiving This Error Message: Not A Genuine Copy of Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving this error message at the bottom right hand corner of my laptop. Therefore my laptop does not allow me to access my hard drive on my computer. I can only use the computer with very limited accessiblity. If I log off the internet my laptop shuts down. I can only go online to purchase a windows vista license. I can not find my windows vista installation CD and the product Key. However I brought the Windows 7 upgrade. I would like to install the windows 7 upgrade on my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. It is about four years old. Please help me.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, August 30, 2010 12:07 AM Move to appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Friday, August 27, 2010 4:04 PM

Answers

• "Goliath28" wrote in message news:1dd59acc-10ec-4263-8614-cdc5991407a3...
    I am receiving this error message at the bottom right hand corner of my laptop. Therefore my laptop does not allow me to access my hard drive on my computer. I can only use the computer with very limited accessiblity. If I log off the internet my laptop shuts down. I can only go online to purchase a windows vista license. I can not find my windows vista installation CD and the product Key. However I brought the Windows 7 upgrade. I would like to install the windows 7 upgrade on my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. It is about four years old. Please help me.

Assuming that you have an Upgrade copy of Win 7 as you say, then you will have to fix the 'Not Genuine' issue before attempting the upgrade, unless you are prepared to do a full system recovery first.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:29 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:53 AM

All replies

• "Goliath28" wrote in message news:1dd59acc-10ec-4263-8614-cdc5991407a3...
    I am receiving this error message at the bottom right hand corner of my laptop. Therefore my laptop does not allow me to access my hard drive on my computer. I can only use the computer with very limited accessiblity. If I log off the internet my laptop shuts down. I can only go online to purchase a windows vista license. I can not find my windows vista installation CD and the product Key. However I brought the Windows 7 upgrade. I would like to install the windows 7 upgrade on my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. It is about four years old. Please help me.

Assuming that you have an Upgrade copy of Win 7 as you say, then you will have to fix the 'Not Genuine' issue before attempting the upgrade, unless you are prepared to do a full system recovery first.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:29 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:53 AM
  • No reply from Original Poster

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:29 PM