Dynamic DNS information cannot be updated RRS feed

• Question

• I finally upgaded to WHS2011 and it mostly seems to be working fine.  I have one error that cropped up today, It says it can't update the dynamic DNS information.  I am able to remotly access my server for http and https so the router is working, I have 80 / 443 forwarded.   I am using the xxx.homeserver.com domain name so that is fine, considering I have a static IP the update is not really needed.  When I installed the server it seemed to like the setting for the DNS.

Any suggestions on where to look to resolve this?

John J. Hughes II
    www.functioninternational.com
    Monday, August 15, 2011 8:30 PM

All replies

• What exactly was the error?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Is the error after bringing the server out of hibernation?

I also see this on a fairly regular basis after re starting the server from hibernation. The error, in my case, clears after a short period. I've never timed it but it is probably around 20 minutes.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:40 AM
  • The error I remember was "can't update the dynamic DNS information" but it has since going away, if I shows up again i will try to be more exact.  I tried finding it in the event log but don't see it and I don't know where to look for a list of history event.
    John J. Hughes II
    www.functioninternational.com
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:47 AM
  • This morning when my WHS2011 woke up I also received the alert message: "The dynamic DNS information cannot be updated. The DNS information for the sever cannot be updated because the domain name provider cannot be contacted. You must contact your domain name provider." WHS seems to be fine and remote Access appears to be working. This link http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/21086-dynamic-dns-information-cannot-be-updated/ indicates a potential problem ... "It's a standby/hibernation issue ... with ... DomainManagerProviderSvc ..."

I would like to get WHS 2011 to "zero alerts" like my WHS machine ... it seems to be a long road :-|

Any ideas on how to fix this annoyance?

Aussie
    • Edited by Aussie_1 Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:48 PM
  • If you are putting your server into standby/hibernation, you may not be able to get rid of the issue. If you aren't, then you can delete the alert; if the root cause (possibly the DDNS provider not responding as quickly as it should, or not responding at all, but almost certainly something external to the server itself) is no longer applicable, the alert will be gone. Otherwise, it will come back the next time your server tries to update your vanity URL.

• Proposed as answer by Aussie_1 Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Ken,

I concur ... that what you say is probably the problem wrt the DDNS provider not responding fast enough ... or alternately (maybe) WHS not waiting long enough. I am testing the Lights-out add-in to put the server to sleep. Maybe we could ask that the WHS timer be relaxed a little?

Aussie
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:52 PM
  • You can ask, but if I were in charge of that piece of Windows Home Server, there would be a detailed service level agreement in place which would say something like "95% of queries for DNS status will receive a response within 2 seconds." Then I'd build my product to wait 5 seconds before an alert.

And there are other possible causes of the issue. I haven't disassembled the code to figure out what exaclty it's doing, so I don't know for a fact that it's going to be a remote problem.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Ken,

Again ... I concur with your suggested design ... So the error went away (as expected). We'll see if/when it occurs again. I think that I have bigger fish to fry with WHS 2011. Seeing I resurrected the thread I am thinking of marking your answer as the proposed best answer. I hope that I am not usurping the original intent of the thread.

Aussie
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Ken et al,

Can I change the DNS? Perhaps in the LAN TCP/IP settings? or is this my ISP in this instance?

Would this be a good idea?

Aussie
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:09 PM