Windows Vista re-sale and re-installation RRS feed

• Question

• Eh up!  I bought a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit edition ff ebay.  I have now decided to replace my installation of Vista will a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit.  What I would like to know is can I re-sell my Vista disk, and would there be any activation problems for any potential buyer. 

TIA
    Friday, January 1, 2010 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hello ZX81Overclocker,

If the Windows 7 is and Upgrade version, then you would need to Upgrade on top of Vista and the Vista License would merge with the Windows 7.  In this case you would not be able to sell (or even use on a different computer) that copy of Vista.

If the Windows 7 is a Full version, then the Vista License would Not be merged with the Windows 7.  In this case you would be able to resell the copy Vista.  Depending on how many time you re-activeded that copy of Vista (during the time you used it) the potential buyer may only be able to Activate by Phone to Activate the Vista.   It's not a big problems as a Phone Activateion usually takes 5min or less and Activations shouldn't occur very often, but you may want to mention it to the persion in case they think you sold them pirated software because it wouldn't Activate over the internet.  So, as long as the software you are selling is Genuine, there should be no other effect for the new owner.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS 
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:22 PM