OneCare does not recognize me as the administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I am the owner and the only user of my notebook. I am running Vista and have un-installed OneCare to fix the problem, but still OneCare does not recognize me as the administrator. I am the administrator according to Windows. Please help, it is very frustrating when OneCare tells me it found a problem to fix, but I can't fix it because I am not the administrator.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:00 AM

Answers

• It isn't OneCare that doesn't see you as administrator, it's Vista that requires elevated privileges for certain functions. The administrator credentials that you have for you ID are not enough for some functions, s UAC kicks in and requires you to approve/confirm the action.

What is the problem that OneCare is offering to fix? Is OneCare in yellow status? If you open OneCare, besides the offer to fix whatever it found, does it tell you what other options you have? If the action requires elevated privileges, I would expect that UAC would kick in, but if it doesn't, then you'll need to initiate the fix manually. If you are unable to resolve the problem, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:46 PM

All replies

• It isn't OneCare that doesn't see you as administrator, it's Vista that requires elevated privileges for certain functions. The administrator credentials that you have for you ID are not enough for some functions, s UAC kicks in and requires you to approve/confirm the action.

What is the problem that OneCare is offering to fix? Is OneCare in yellow status? If you open OneCare, besides the offer to fix whatever it found, does it tell you what other options you have? If the action requires elevated privileges, I would expect that UAC would kick in, but if it doesn't, then you'll need to initiate the fix manually. If you are unable to resolve the problem, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:46 PM
  • I manually opened Windows OneCare as the administrator and it was as simple as the print queue needed to be cleared. It is vary frustrating that I have to manually open OneCare as the adminstrator, can't there be a fix for that? Is everyone else having the same frustration?

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Welcome to the wonderful annoyance that is UAC in Windows Vista. ;-) Yes, the problem is that the action that OneCare needed to take for you required elevated privileges in Vista, hence the need to run as administrator.

-steve

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:32 AM