error code 0x80070005 RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly my access to the user-shared files are denied on several computers.
    I have 4 user accounts defined on my WHS.
    These accounts could be accessed from 6 computers within my homenetwork.

Denial of access started on 1 computer. Now it happens on all computers (Vista HP, Vista B and XP Home)

How to solve this?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:19 PM

Answers

• Dirk,

0x80070005 is usually an indication of a permissions problem, either through a firewall, or passwords. This thread  and the linked ones might have a few pointers.

Also, using 'procmon' on one of the Clients while you try an access will help to pinpoint to what is happening during the operation.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:27 PM

All replies

• Dirk,

0x80070005 is usually an indication of a permissions problem, either through a firewall, or passwords. This thread  and the linked ones might have a few pointers.

Also, using 'procmon' on one of the Clients while you try an access will help to pinpoint to what is happening during the operation.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Hi Dirk,
    did you any time try to adjust permissions directly on the Home Server via Explorer?
    Would it help to unconfigure/reconfigure the security settings of these shared folders in the console and after that login the client again?
    Can the users access the shares still via Web interface?
    Do you see any error messages or warnings in the event viewer on your Windows Home Server? (local login required)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Colin, Olaf,

Problem has been solved.
    It occurred when I activated Guestaccount without a password on the WHS.
    Connecting to a share like music or photos with a guestaccount access would activate this guest account on my pc.
    Connceting to a share with an user account gave the mentioned error code.
    Inactivating guest account on the WHS solved this problem.
    Only now I cannot use the mediaplayer with guestaccount to music anymore. 
    I still have to find a solution for this.
    Dirk
    Monday, December 22, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Dirk, do the users defined on your home computers match up with users on your server?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:21 AM