COM+ trouble... RRS feed

• Question

• This problem started because Office Communicator 2007 R2 would not launch no matter how we tried to start it. The error logs show the following error:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80040154 from line 44 of d:qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eentsystemobj.cpp. This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed. Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.
         For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

So, I do the following steps to reinstall COM+:

-Rename C:\Windows\System32\Clbcatq.dll to C:\Windows\System32\~Clbcatq.dll

-Reboot into safe mode with networking and start REGEDIT and delete the following registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3
    -Open Command Prompt and type 'cd %windir% and press enter.
    -Type 'rmdir /s Registration' and press enter. Then press 'y' and enter to confirm.
    At this point, I get the following return:

registration\R000000000016.clb - Access is denied.
         registration\R000000000017.clb - Access is denied.
         registration\{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}.{7FF0099C-1947-4802-9987-9F87ECDBE017}.crmlog - Access is denied.

Now, if I try to do the following, I get a progress bar that shows a status of "Status    Installing COM+", but it freezes and I have to logout and back in to stop the process. I let it sit for over 2 hours just to see if it was doing anything.
     I've rebooted and restart the process several times. 

I tried to run a Windows Repair from the Windows XP Pro Installation disk and it runs successfully, but does not fix the problem. The only resolution I've found is to do a destructive restore on the system. This method is very inefficient since I have about 12 computers with the same issue and my company does not use Ghost images. We have to manually reinstall all of the software and licenses. (not my doing...)

My company recently pushed Office Communicator to over 1500 computers and we have this issue on 12 computers. I believe this may have been caused by an XP security update that was pushed in April, but I do not know this for sure.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JCassity
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:45 PM

Answers

• This problem started because Office Communicator 2007 R2 would not launch no matter how we tried to start it. The error logs show the following error:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80040154 from line 44 of d:qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eentsystemobj.cpp. This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed. Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.
         For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

So, I do the following steps to reinstall COM+:

-Rename C:\Windows\System32\Clbcatq.dll to C:\Windows\System32\~Clbcatq.dll

-Reboot into safe mode with networking and start REGEDIT and delete the following registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3
    -Open Command Prompt and type 'cd %windir% and press enter.
    -Type 'rmdir /s Registration' and press enter. Then press 'y' and enter to confirm.
    At this point, I get the following return:

registration\R000000000016.clb - Access is denied.
         registration\R000000000017.clb - Access is denied.
         registration\{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}.{7FF0099C-1947-4802-9987-9F87ECDBE017}.crmlog - Access is denied.

Now, if I try to do the following, I get a progress bar that shows a status of "Status    Installing COM+", but it freezes and I have to logout and back in to stop the process. I let it sit for over 2 hours just to see if it was doing anything.
     I've rebooted and restart the process several times. 

I tried to run a Windows Repair from the Windows XP Pro Installation disk and it runs successfully, but does not fix the problem. The only resolution I've found is to do a destructive restore on the system. This method is very inefficient since I have about 12 computers with the same issue and my company does not use Ghost images. We have to manually reinstall all of the software and licenses. (not my doing...)

My company recently pushed Office Communicator to over 1500 computers and we have this issue on 12 computers. I believe this may have been caused by an XP security update that was pushed in April, but I do not know this for sure.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JCassity

Hi,

This is the Windows Home Server forum.  You would probably have more luck posting in the Windows XP NGs

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:10 PM