Change the motherboard without reinstalling WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I would like to change the motherboard of my server, but of course as well to avoid to reinstall the whole WHS :-)
    Is there any way ?
    I have a lot of sata disks. It took time to configure my WHS.
    I do not want to restart from scratch !

Thank you for your help

Patrick G
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:11 AM

Answers

• Personally, I would recommend a server reinstallation with all your drives connected to the new motherboard. I did exactly that during the beta a couple of years ago, upgrading from an antique AMD MB/processor to a slightly less antique Intel based system, and it worked fine. It's important that all your drives be visible on the hardware discovery screen of setup, and that the old system drive be properly connected so it is still the system drive in the new configuration.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,
    if you select a mainboard, which is the same chipset family and similar processor, and have similar/identical SATA controllers or run it in IDE mode on both machines or can integrate the drivers for the new hardware before shutting down the old mainboard, you may have a good chance, that the system boots up at least (if the primary drive is connected to port 0 of the mass storage controller and configured as boot drive). You see, a lot of "ifs".
    So there is no guarantee (especially in SATA mode), that this will work or that a server reinstall is offered.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Personally, I would recommend a server reinstallation with all your drives connected to the new motherboard. I did exactly that during the beta a couple of years ago, upgrading from an antique AMD MB/processor to a slightly less antique Intel based system, and it worked fine. It's important that all your drives be visible on the hardware discovery screen of setup, and that the old system drive be properly connected so it is still the system drive in the new configuration.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:21 PM