The Windows Server Client Computer Backup service is not running RRS feed

• Question

• This just started today - the Server was running as normal and I made no changes. The advice is:

You will not be able to backup client computers until the service is started.
    Before you start the service: Ensure that you resolve all alerts that are related to Server Storage.
    To start the service: In Alert Viewer, click Try to repair the issue.

This starts the Service but it immediately stops again - there are no other Alerts related to Server storage and I have adequate free space on my data disks. Starting the Service directly on the Server (via RDP) has the same result - it starts and then stops again. I have tried a reboot and that has not helped. All the dependencies" for this service (DCOM Server Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper etc.) seem to be running fine.

Any ideas?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:06 AM

Answers

• OK, no ideas then!

I have solved the problem - it appears that I had a couple of disk errors on my my main data drive. Correcting these led to two files being affected, one of which was in the Client Computer Backup Database. Subsequently I received an error that there was corruption in that database which led me to run the "Repair Database" wizard. This ran and deleted all backups for a single computer (all others were unaffected) - not an issue as I had it backed up elsewhere.

So, problem solved - it might have been easier if the error messages were not so cryptic!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• OK, no ideas then!

I have solved the problem - it appears that I had a couple of disk errors on my my main data drive. Correcting these led to two files being affected, one of which was in the Client Computer Backup Database. Subsequently I received an error that there was corruption in that database which led me to run the "Repair Database" wizard. This ran and deleted all backups for a single computer (all others were unaffected) - not an issue as I had it backed up elsewhere.

So, problem solved - it might have been easier if the error messages were not so cryptic!

• Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Thank you for sharing that information, I wouldn't of guessed it from what you posted as to what the error is.

I haven't had any errors in a long time, it has been just working like it is supposed to. But this will help in the event of a problem drive.

--
    Don
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Don

Thanks for the comment. You never know, someone may benefit from this at some point in the future (which is why I posted it), particularly if they choose to do a search before asking the question!

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:51 AM
  • So how did you discover the error?  Any errors in the event log or just random troubleshooting steps?

I just discovered that my backups haven't been running for over a week when I tried and failed to perform a manual backup.  There were no warnings in the Connector system tray because the Client Backup service on the server wasn't running.  The only feature I want from the server is client backups and it can't even perform those reliably!

Dave

Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:45 AM
  • So how did you discover the error?  Any errors in the event log or just random troubleshooting steps?

The error was shown in Windows Log, System and confirmed with a chkdsk /f.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I have the same kind of a problem. In my Win 7 Pro. 64 bit computer the backup is Ok. But with Win 7 Home 32 bit I have problems. The computer has no backed up for a long time. I looked support sides http://technet.microsoft.com/library/computer-backup-error-solution-2.aspx and noticed that Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service is running and OK. I also opened my computer wit admin privileges and tried to run chkdsk /f but I got the message that I had no privileges  ???

Nikorios

• Edited by Nikorios Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:55 PM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:49 PM