My server seems to distribute files across the hard drives weirdly RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to have a weird distribution of files on my WHS. My WHS is running 4x1.5 tb drives, with all shares set to data dupe.

The system 1.5tb is @ 2% while the other 3 1.5tbs are at 96%!

Just seems weird to me... I'd think it'd spread it over the 4 drives, not the 3... Unless it counts the system volume as a physical drive potentially viable for failure and doesn't use it for data dupes...

Is this normal?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:37 AM

Answers

• You're not seeing anything unusual; Windows Home Server tries to avoid storing files on the system disk. You might want to read the Drive Extender technical brief; it gives a little more information about the technology that manages the storage pool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MuraliRath Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

Initially, a larger system drive was always suggested as Clients saw the space available on that drive as the usable space for file transfers so a 'small' drive would seriously limit the file transfer size.
    However, as WHS as developed, the Clients can now 'see' the available space across all drives, so the requirement for the larger system drive isn't the same now.

WHS tries to keep your data off this drive, however if your data drives become full, then it will as a last resort utilise the space available on that drive.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by MuraliRath Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:43 AM

All replies

• You're not seeing anything unusual; Windows Home Server tries to avoid storing files on the system disk. You might want to read the Drive Extender technical brief; it gives a little more information about the technology that manages the storage pool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MuraliRath Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:18 AM
  • So... In hindsight, it may have been wiser to use a smaller drive for the system partition, and the 1.5 tb drive as part of the pool?
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Hi,

Initially, a larger system drive was always suggested as Clients saw the space available on that drive as the usable space for file transfers so a 'small' drive would seriously limit the file transfer size.
    However, as WHS as developed, the Clients can now 'see' the available space across all drives, so the requirement for the larger system drive isn't the same now.

WHS tries to keep your data off this drive, however if your data drives become full, then it will as a last resort utilise the space available on that drive.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by MuraliRath Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Great, thanks for all your help!

Knowing that WHS tries not to use the primary system partiton hard drive is handy.  I think I'll buy a smaller, cheaper drive to use as an OS drive.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:59 PM