Microsoft CRM 2013 SDK's compatible with CRM 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - 

For various reasons I would like to know what would be the best strategy for creating a .NET library that will work for both CRM2011 and CRM2013. I'm not talking about plugins but simply .NET code that consumes the SOAP endpoints using the default SDK assemblies. 

• Should we rebuild our code with updated references to the CRM2013 SDK assemblies and use that to consume CRM2011?
    • Should we keep using the CRM2011 SDK assemblies as long as we want to support CRM2011 and use that to consume CRM2013?
    • Should we branch our solutions and create two separate .NET libraries, one for CRM2011 and another for CRM2013?

Personally I think that the last option is ideal however the SDK documentation does state somewhere that the SDK is backwards compatible, does this mean that future SDK versions will work on previous CRM versions unless stated otherwise (e.g. the CRM2013 deprecated CRM4 code).

Option 1 seems to work just fine after running a few tests, which I have no problem with.

Option 2 also seems to work after running a few tests but I am very hesitant to keep using CRM2011 SDK assemblies with CRM 2013. The release notes clearly talk about various optimizations and new features. Also in the past we had to upgrade the CRM SDK assemblies after a rollup, which I think is also the case for CRM2013 rollup 2. 

I hope you have some advice.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out .. 

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:54 PM

All replies

• Personally I suggest to use the CRM 2013 SDK.

If your code needs to connect to 2011 or 2013 environments, you can check the CRM version first (using the RetrieveVersionRequest message for example) in order to adapt your code to use (or to don't use) CRM 2013 specific messages or methods.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Friday, October 24, 2014 3:45 AM
  • Thanks a lot .. 

Do you happen to have some guidance or documentation that I can use to assert that Microsoft supports this scenario?

Friday, October 24, 2014 10:39 AM
  • I never come across a microsoft paper or site about this scenario.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Friday, October 24, 2014 10:53 AM