none
NTFS: Disk map of valid data vs data available in sectors togled as erased data?

Question

• Hi,

I am not a power user of Windows, but I do know enough to understand how data is written to disks.  Recently, I lost a 16-gb PST file due to a system crash.  The PST was on an external drive.  The file became zero length, and it is not recognized as a PST file by any outlook program or recovery program.

I believe the file header became damaged and that the rest of the data is still on the drive but there is no pointer to where the clusters of data is located on the disc surface.  I need to recover this file.  Most sites say that my file is lost forever but I still think my data is on the drive, just not accounted for in the file system.

I am currently trying DiskView to see what type of information I can see with the software.  I was hoping to perform a comparison analysis of the drive surface where the sectors of data that is not accounted for in the file system would become visible.  Basically a substraction of actual data visible in the file manager from the total data that is in the sectors of the drive.

Basically, how can I achieve this?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:34 PM

Answers