cracking open thumbs.db and extracting PDF thumbs RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been trying to crack open thumbs.db because I think it has thumbnail images that could be useful to a project I'm kicking around, but I haven't found any code yet to do it.  I work at a DoD site so it's impossible to use any thumbs viewer software that's not been vetted and approved by BUMED (and there is none).  I'm not even allowed to use Visual Studio, so my options are Powershell or perhaps an SSIS package using C# code.

I'm mainly a database guy but I haven't found any info about how to work with thumbs.db as a database per se.  In fact I haven't found much info about thumbs.db other than how to turn off thumbs

I came across the topic of Thumbnail Handlers but I haven't found any actual code and I'm not familiar (yet) with interfaces.

My goal is a Powershell script that could open thumbs.db (or mount it as PSProvider) and extract all the PDF thumbs, saving each as an image file (e.g., jpg, tiff, png).

Thanks for any assistance/guidance/reading this post.

Christian Bahnsen

• Edited by Christian.Bahnsen Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:13 PM increase specificity
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Friday, March 15, 2019 12:32 AM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, March 15, 2019 12:32 AM Off-topic
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:08 PM

All replies

• Sounds interesting, but this isn't the right place for your question because we simply don't have the resources to research something like that for you.

If you have PowerShell code that isn't working, you can post a short example that contains only the minimal amount of code needed to reproduce the problem (follow the SSCCE principle).

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping the Scripting Guys would find it interesting, too, and perhaps use it as a topic for one of their Hey, Scripting Guy! blogs.  I didn't see a mechanism to submit topics at their blog and thought they might use this forum to get ideas for blog posts.

You can go ahead and close/delete this thread if it's not appropriate for this forum.  I didn't have any code to post because I can't find any examples to even get started.

Chris

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:28 PM
  • The blog is pretty much defunct since Ed Wilson retired.

The issue is an issue for the Windows API since Microsoft has never published and API document for the thumbs.db file.

Post in the C or C# forum to see if anyone has cracked this.

Here is a place to start: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/what-you-should-know-about-thumbsdb-file/

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:54 PM