HP MediaSmart Server versus Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• OK I have the 30-day WHS demo currently installed on a SCSI only server, and have found that I will not have enough harddrive space to do what I need, and still need to fork over $100 for WHS. I also think I might have a line on an older HP MediaSmart server (the one with 4 hdd bays) for around $250.

What is the major differances from WHS and the HP version? Becuase I am thinking that I might just be better off buying the HP system, and using this server for something else.

Can you install the Power Pack 3 on the EX4xx models?
     I hate to spend the money, only to find myself with something only 1/2 of what WHS is.

Can I move the Client backups that I currently have on the WHS over to the HP server? Or will I just have to start from scratch?
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:44 PM

Answers

• HP has included some additional software (note: make sure you get the manuals and all the disks if you decide to pick up the used HP unit. There should be three disks: a server recovery DVD, a home computer restore CD, and a connector installation CD) and a nice form factor. No functionality is missing. Since you won't be the original owner, warranty isn't a factor. The early HP units, especially the EX47x units, were underpowered as regards both CPU and memory, so you shouldn't expect them to be multimedia powerhouses. That said, I have an HP EX475 with additional storage added, but original CPU and memory, and it still works fine. The performance is acceptable. All Windows Home Server updates are applicable to all Windows Home Server installations (so far, though I suppose that isn't guaranteed). HP specific updates are not applicable to all HP servers; your server will download the appropriate updates. 

As for your backups, why not just abandon the current backup database and move on? It'll probably be less hassle than copying the database to the new server (which can be done, see this technical brief).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Adam_Carter Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:01 PM

All replies

• HP has included some additional software (note: make sure you get the manuals and all the disks if you decide to pick up the used HP unit. There should be three disks: a server recovery DVD, a home computer restore CD, and a connector installation CD) and a nice form factor. No functionality is missing. Since you won't be the original owner, warranty isn't a factor. The early HP units, especially the EX47x units, were underpowered as regards both CPU and memory, so you shouldn't expect them to be multimedia powerhouses. That said, I have an HP EX475 with additional storage added, but original CPU and memory, and it still works fine. The performance is acceptable. All Windows Home Server updates are applicable to all Windows Home Server installations (so far, though I suppose that isn't guaranteed). HP specific updates are not applicable to all HP servers; your server will download the appropriate updates. 

As for your backups, why not just abandon the current backup database and move on? It'll probably be less hassle than copying the database to the new server (which can be done, see this technical brief).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Adam_Carter Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Sounds good, I will find out the avalablity and price, I beleave it's still new in the box, the guy just bought 5-10 of them for some crazy price.. and If he has any left over he will sell it to ME at cost..

I will probably just ditch the backup like you said, after the new server is up and running, and I have the same systems backed up on the new server.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:33 PM