MY ProgramsIS NOT VISIBLE ONCE i SIGN IN Money Plus RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to open the Money plus  program, I get the sign in screen enter password and click sign in and the program vanishes.

Original title: MY ProgramsIS NOT VISIBLE ONCE i SIGN IN 

I have money plus and until this morning all was well but now when I try to open the program I get the sign in screen enter password and click sign in and the program vanishes It is running but I cant see it anywhere except in the task manager? I need to access it urgently can anyone help please?

Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:12 AM

All replies

• 1. Are you referring to Microsoft Money plus software?

2. Are you facing the issue only with Money Plus software?

3. Have you made any recent software or hardware changes on the computer?

4. Which Windows operating system are you using?

1 yes

2  yes

3  dont recall?

4 most modern? windows 7 i think

tried clean boot still cant find my program

do not get error messages just dissapears when I sign in?

willpost in money forum too

thanks for your assist

Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Copy Sample.mny from the install folder to your Documents folder. Typically that would be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\Sample.mny". Open that copy. If the problem does not exist with that file, then that would tend to point to a problem with your file.

If the problem does exist then, I would create a new Windows user. Copy your Money file over to the Documents folder of that user, switch to that user, and Open the Money file as that user. If the problem does not exist, the problem would appear to be related to some user-related problem.

What did these tests show?

Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:58 PM
  • The same thing is happening on my computer.  I have tried to open "my money.mny" on two separate machines using the Money Sunset edition and up until a couple of days ago it worked okay.  Now, the program just blinks out.  It is still running under the "task manager - Process tab", but otherwise it is not showing up anywhere else.

Please help!!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:28 AM
  • The same thing is happening on my computer.  I have tried to open "my money.mny" on two separate machines using the Money Sunset edition and up until a couple of days ago it worked okay.  Now, the program just blinks out.  It is still running under the "task manager - Process tab", but otherwise it is not showing up anywhere else.

Please help!!

Same thing is happening? Hmmm. Same.

Copy Sample.mny from the install folder to your Documents folder. Typically that would be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\Sample.mny". Open that copy. If the problem does not exist with that file, then that would tend to point to a problem with your file.

If the problem does exist then, I would create a new Windows user. Copy your Money file over to the Documents folder of that user, switch to that user, and Open the Money file as that user. If the problem does not exist, the problem would appear to be related to some user-related problem.

What did these tests show?

Maybe you guys could figure out what your installations have in common.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:48 AM
  • I am able to open the sample.mny file, but am unable to open the file that has all of my financial information in it.  Could my file be corrupted?  Help!
    Friday, September 21, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Maybe, but spencerthedog having the same problem seems odd.

First, make copies of your recent *.mbf files. Those might be the key
    to getting things going. Then, what I would try next is to open Sample.mny again.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

If that does not do it, there are some other things I have in mind.

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:24 PM
  • has anyone ever responded back to you that this worked? we are having the exact same problem, and when we opened up the backup file, that only shows records as recent as 2010 - 3 years of records are just gone. we back it up every single time we log off. and now, that's one of only two files we can get into - one that ends in 2010, one that is a fresh new blank slate where we would have to start a new account, and then there's the 3rd file that just disappears. I tried doing a clean boot, and that didn't do anything. I'd love to know if any of what you suggest helped anyone.
    Friday, December 6, 2013 2:19 AM
  • If you back up every time you exit from Money you should have a backup (.mbf) file that is more recent than 2010.  In fact, if you have a recent version of Money you should have multiple backups.  Search your computer to see if maybe they were inadvertently moved.  Check the recycle bin to see if they were inadvertently deleted. Going forward, you should set up for multiple backups and copy them preiodically to another medium such as a flash drive.

You should also have a .mny file, the actual working file.  What happens when you open that?

Can you open the Sample.mny file?

Have you done Cal Learner's suggestions:

First, make copies of your recent *.mbf files. Those might be the key
    to getting things going. Then, what I would try next is to open Sample.mny again.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Let us know if any of this helps or exactly what happens when you try these steps.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, December 6, 2013 5:53 PM typo
    Friday, December 6, 2013 5:24 AM
  • has anyone ever responded back to you that this worked? we are having the exact same problem, and when we opened up the backup file, that only shows records as recent as 2010 - 3 years of records are just gone. we back it up every single time we log off. and now, that's one of only two files we can get into - one that ends in 2010, one that is a fresh new blank slate where we would have to start a new account, and then there's the 3rd file that just disappears. I tried doing a clean boot, and that didn't do anything. I'd love to know if any of what you suggest helped anyone.

No, they just dropped off.

I suggest that you make sure you don't overwrite good backup files with backups of corrupted files. Increase the number of backups that Money keeps. Maybe switch from the default of 4 to maybe 30 if you have plenty of disk space. Search your computer for *.mbf files to see if you can locate a good backup that you might have missed.

Make backups to other media also. I suggest a USB flash drive. Keep multiple backups on the flash drive too.

(Users of Money 2005 don't get multiple backups automatically; they should manually take steps to have multiple backups on multiple media.)

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:45 PM