none
Ensuring that we are signed in

General discussion

• I would use an option for always ensuring that we are signed in. What I mean by "ensuring that we are signed in" is that sometimes I am signed in when I browse the forums and sometimes I am not. If I am not signed in then sometimes I must click on the sign in link in order to do something. It would help if the sign in page were shown automatically when I first browse any MSDN forum page, so that I am always signed in first before I do anything.

This might not be used by casual users, eventhough it would encorage use of features such as voting for useful replies, but for those of us that usually need to sign in anyway, it would help if the forums were to provide the ability to sign in immediately.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:43 PM

All replies

• On a related note, I'm sure there is a reason, but I do not see why the forums cannot keep a person's Live ID current as long as they keep posting, and only let it lapse if the person does not post for 24 hours. Getting logged out while you are composing a message is an incredibly annoying and perplexing "feature."
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:37 PM
  • The problem of getting logged out while composing a message is certainly a frustrating problem that I think can and should be fixed; I have in the past requested a way to see how much time is left before our sesseion times-out. Another solution would be that when we click on the reply or quote button, to somehow ensure we have a specified amount of time remaining before our session times-out. What you suggest is also good; to just extend the time in certain situations.

That however is separate from my suggestion, but worth mentioning. If they all could be considered one problem/solution then that would be great.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Same old problem, just a new error message: "Unexpected error". Yup, I didn't expect it either.
    Hans Passant.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:34 PM