Where is the release version of WHS 2011? RRS feed

All replies

• On Thu, 5 May 2011 01:53:16 +0000, FanCarolina wrote:

Alright it's May 4th where is the release version of WHS 2011. http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/archive/2011/03/29/windows-home-server-2011-is-ready-for-release.aspx

This says it's ready for release. It says Early April for Evaluation and TechNet. It's May why can't I upgrade to the RTM version and just be finished. Anyone know an actual timetable for this release?

Its on Technet and MSDN. It is still early May, or at least the last time I
    checked May 4th would be considered to be early May. I fail to see the
    problem here.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Software:  Typically silk nighties, nylons, garter belts.  Contrast with
    hardware.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:58 AM
  • I've seen an OEM box advertiesd in the UK as being available from 16th May. I know this doesn't answer your question but it is more than you are likely to get from MS!

(and they still have to give us a price)

WSHS 2011 -> W... SECRET H..... S.... 2011

Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Can you post a link? I'm very curious about when I can get my hands on one too...
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Alright it's May 4th where is the release version of WHS 2011. http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/archive/2011/03/29/windows-home-server-2011-is-ready-for-release.aspx

This says it's ready for release. It says Early April for Evaluation and TechNet. It's May why can't I upgrade to the RTM version and just be finished. Anyone know an actual timetable for this release?

The evaluation experience for WHS will be released this coming week, and we are now starting to see some early OEMs announcing their WHS release cycles.  System Builders and OEM's can now sell the product as it hit their price lists on May 1.  There is no FPP version of WHS 2011 which is exactly the same as the previous version, so if you are building your own server you need to find a official SB/OEM who is selling the individual OEM version.  During the next 6 weeks you will see more OEM's announce their availability as we move towards our official GA (General Availability)

The question about pricing, as it is a OEM license only product Microsoft does not provide a license cost similer to the way we do with other products that are available via VL or FPP.  Each OEM/SB set their price inline with their solution they are selling.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 4:00 AM
  • ... so if you are building your own server you need to find a official SB/OEM who is selling the individual OEM version. 

The question about pricing, as it is a OEM license only product Microsoft does not provide a license cost similer to the way we do with other products that are available via VL or FPP.  Each OEM/SB set their price inline with their solution they are selling.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation

Which I/we have been unable to do. Don't just tease us; give us a clue - please?

And still a resolute refusal to give any indication of price. I find that disappointing and somewhat surprising given that this is a community of users/enthusiasts who could be your best advocates/ambassadors.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Alright it's May 4th where is the release version of WHS 2011. http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/archive/2011/03/29/windows-home-server-2011-is-ready-for-release.aspx

The evaluation experience for WHS will be released this coming week, and we are now starting to see some early OEMs announcing their WHS release cycles.  System Builders and OEM's can now sell the product as it hit their price lists on May 1.  There is no FPP version of WHS 2011 which is exactly the same as the previous version, so if you are building your own server you need to find a official SB/OEM who is selling the individual OEM version.  During the next 6 weeks you will see more OEM's announce their availability as we move towards our official GA (General Availability)

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation

Michael, as with most people who tested Vail, we are system builders.  I actually built a computer to test Vail and tested the original release and the second release.  My intent was to purchase the OEM release version of the WHS 2011 Operating System just like I have for the original Home Server Software.  I and many others are not looking for a FPP version of the operating system but the OEM release so we can operate the hardware that we have already built and tested and provided data back to Microsoft for their beta process.  Since we can buy the original OEM version from Newegg, Amazon and many others we are wondering when the OEM software packet for WHS 2011 will be available from these sources and what the price will be. Can you please let us know?
    Monday, May 9, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I would like to echo eidos' comments. I too, and waiting for the System Builder version of WHS 2011. I would buy it today if the price wasn't outrageous. I would think that if you made this available as a digital download, you'd have many, many people willing to purchase. If there are other reasons as to why you cannot make this available, please enlighten us.

-TB

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Michael, as with most people who tested Vail, we are system builders.  I actually built a computer to test Vail and tested the original release and the second release.  My intent was to purchase the OEM release version of the WHS 2011 Operating System just like I have for the original Home Server Software.  I and many others are not looking for a FPP version of the operating system but the OEM release so we can operate the hardware that we have already built and tested and provided data back to Microsoft for their beta process.  Since we can buy the original OEM version from Newegg, Amazon and many others we are wondering when the OEM software packet for WHS 2011 will be available from these sources and what the price will be. Can you please let us know?

eidos - you've hit the nail on the head. Sometimes I think Mr. Leworthy is either being deliberately obtuse, or he really doesn't have a clue about the community that's out here...
    Monday, May 9, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I also was part of the testing cycle and built up a unit specifically for it. Would love to know when i could move on from the RC and get it up and running with release version
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:47 AM

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation

Michael, as with most people who tested Vail, we are system builders.  I actually built a computer to test Vail and tested the original release and the second release.  My intent was to purchase the OEM release version of the WHS 2011 Operating System just like I have for the original Home Server Software.  I and many others are not looking for a FPP version of the operating system but the OEM release so we can operate the hardware that we have already built and tested and provided data back to Microsoft for their beta process.  Since we can buy the original OEM version from Newegg, Amazon and many others we are wondering when the OEM software packet for WHS 2011 will be available from these sources and what the price will be. Can you please let us know?

It hit our OEM price list on May1 and they can now make if fully avaliable when their retail/online systems are ready (such as updating it for purchase from amazon, newegg etc without hardware).  I would expect 3-6 weeks based on previous experience with the OEM reseller processes.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:14 AM
  • I would like to echo eidos' comments. I too, and waiting for the System Builder version of WHS 2011. I would buy it today if the price wasn't outrageous. I would think that if you made this available as a digital download, you'd have many, many people willing to purchase. If there are other reasons as to why you cannot make this available, please enlighten us.

-TB

As it is a OEM product only from Microsoft, it can only be purchased through official OEM resellers.  Due to that you can not buy it direct from Microsoft, however many of the OEM resellers I have worked with in the past are now providing digital download capability.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:30 AM
  • ... so if you are building your own server you need to find a official SB/OEM who is selling the individual OEM version. 

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation

Which I/we have been unable to do. Don't just tease us; give us a clue - please?

And still a resolute refusal to give any indication of price. I find that disappointing and somewhat surprising given that this is a community of users/enthusiasts who could be your best advocates/ambassadors.

As it hit the OEM list on May 1, the next step is for OEM retailers that sell the OEM versions without attaching to hardware (such as Amazon, etc) to update their sites based on availability. That may take 3-6 weeks from experience with similer products. As per price, as this product does not have a FPP version I cannot quote a ERP price - not a refusal at all - OEM resellers set the price for this product as part of their solution (either with or without hardware). However I would expect it to be inline with the previous version pricing as a guideline.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:36 AM
  • As it hit the OEM list on May 1, the next step is for OEM retailers that sell the OEM versions without attaching to hardware (such as Amazon, etc) to update their sites based on availability. That may take 3-6 weeks from experience with similer products. As per price, as this product does not have a FPP version I cannot quote a ERP price - not a refusal at all - OEM resllers set the price for this product as part of their soluton (either with or without hadrware). However I would expect it to be inline with the previous version pricing as a guideline.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thank you for the clarification...
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:46 AM
  • eidos - you've hit the nail on the head. Sometimes I think Mr. Leworthy is either being deliberately obtuse, or he really doesn't have a clue about the community that's out here...

Good grief, guys! How many ways does Michael need to say it? It's out of Microsoft's hands!

WHS 2011 hit the OEM price list on May 1 and is now in the hands of the "original equipment manufacturers". The OEMs now have control of the product. It's up to the individual OEM as to how it's sold; whether as a download or via DVD.

From May 1 to May 10 seems to be 10 days, so it's a tossup as to whether any OEM will have the software available for download, much less have had time to press a few gazillion DVDs. These things take time and no matter how impatient we get, OEMs are going to take the time they need to get it right.

BTW, WHS 2011 is on Technet and MSDN, so if you're in a hurry to test the WHS 2011 RTM, buy a subscription. It's not that expensive, and you get to test more than just WHS 2011 . . . be aware that it's for testing only and not for production use.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Nancy,

The point is that until Michael clarified things in his last post, I, like some others here, thought that there was a difference between an OEM (such as Acer, Tranquil, etc.) and a Reseller (such as Newegg, Amazon, etc.) All I had seen was Michael talking about OEMs and I simply hadn't realised that by that term he included the Neweggs and Amazons of this world.

Oh, and being on a pension, I can't justify to Financial Control purchasing both an OEM Licence and Technet or MSDN subscription. There was a time when I could, but those days are past :-)

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:51 AM
  • On Wed, 11 May 2011 06:51:52 +0000, Geoffc1 wrote:

I can't justify to Financial Control

This actually made me LOL. While I'm not on a fixed income, I do have my
    own Financial Control and when I think about that role of her's I also
    think of it with capital letters. :-)

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:12 AM
  • The point is that until Michael clarified things in his last post, I, like some others here, thought that there was a difference between an OEM (such as Acer, Tranquil, etc.) and a Reseller (such as Newegg, Amazon, etc.) All I had seen was Michael talking about OEMs and I simply hadn't realised that by that term he included the Neweggs and Amazons of this world.

And my point was the following quote:

" eidos - you've hit the nail on the head. Sometimes I think Mr. Leworthy is either being deliberately obtuse, or he really doesn't have a clue about the community that's out here..."

Quite frankly, I'm rather surprised that a system builder wouldn't know what an OEM is. To my knowledge, An OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) builds systems and installs whatever software the client needs. What that means is that even if I build a system for my own use and install WHS 2011 on it, I am the OEM, and as such, I'm required to support it and cannot expect Microsoft to do so. In fact Microsoft does not provide support for OEM products; that chore belongs to the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

Oh, and being on a pension, I can't justify to Financial Control purchasing both an OEM Licence and Technet or MSDN subscription. There was a time when I could, but those days are past :-)

Join the pension crowd.  Quite a few of us are in the same boat. I use my Technet subscription for testing purposes so I don't endanger my retail product. Works for me, and I've saved a lot by not having to buy retail product necessary for my test machines.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I am sorry we aggravated you Nancy. My comments were directed to Microsoft because it is a Microsoft product. I own multiple copies of OEM software and build many computers every year. I have a copy of Microsoft OEM System Builders Pack in my hands. It is in a Microsoft box with their name on it and their part number (CCQ-00099). I purchased this copy from NewEgg and others from Tiger Direct. They are all Microsoft products in their boxes and in their packaging.

An OEM did not manufacture this disk, Microsoft did. Your comments about OEM'S pressing disks, preparing downloads or making DVD's is laughable. Microsoft makes these disks and sells them to the web sites for resale and distribution for hardware builders and small OEM shops.  This was the basis of my question.  When will these disks be available for purchase.  If Microsoft does not know, then how would resellers who buy the operating packages from Microsoft know when they will receive them.  They do not make them on their own. 

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:29 PM
  • The manufacturer part # appears to be CCQ-00128. See http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11368305-Microsoft-CCQ00128.html    <-- showing 86 in stock, ships to USA only.

A quick search of the part # shows few retailers listing it, mostly pre-orders though.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:24 PM
  • The manufacturer part # appears to be CCQ-00128. See http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11368305-Microsoft-CCQ00128.html    <-- showing 86 in stock, ships to USA only.

A quick search of the part # shows few retailers listing it, mostly pre-orders though.

Thamks for the link CBSkill,

This AM they are showing 95 in stock.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:58 PM
  • NewEgg now has it for $99.99 with free shipping.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Just tried to buy from NewEgg but although it's listed "In-Stock" after the order was placed they said it's out of stock and cancelled the order.  I guess keeping your stock status updated on your web site is too difficult for a technology reseller :-(
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:52 PM
  • They must have had very limited stock. I placed an order at 10 am PDT, and have not received any cancellation notice.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:59 PM
  • I had just bought my copy when I posted the message above. Credit Card charged and 2 day shipping so Tuesday to Thursday of next week for arrival.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:04 PM
  • I ordered mine from Erwincomp.com. It is only a few dollars from newegg.com and I got my copy in 1 day being in california and seeing it shipped from Fresno.

http://www.erwincomputers.com/oem-home-server-2011-microsoft-oem-software-ccq-00128.html

good luck.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:20 AM
  • NewEgg must be the reseller of choice for the WHS early adopters as it's out-of-stock already.

Thanks for the ErwinComp recommendation.  I ordered from there and will hopefully receive it soon.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Went to Newegg about 30 minutes ago and they showed in stock. So I ordered and they accepted the order, now it shows out of stock. We'll see if I really get it.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Tiger Direct - $99.99 - In stock now.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Got mine in the mail today from Newegg. Now my weekend project is set........
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:38 PM
  • I just checked Tiger and the $99 version they have is for the old version.

Friday, May 27, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Try here:

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11368305-Microsoft-CCQ00128.html

Friday, May 27, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Wow - just checked Newegg, they show in stock now, but the price has gone up to $124.99. Up from $99.99 just three days ago. Maybe the demand is pretty high.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416443

Glad I got mine for $99.99 when I could!
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:26 AM
  • In the UK the best price I've found so far (dare I stay I think it's a mistake) is

http://www.cclonline.com/product/58706/CCQ-00128/Operating-Systems/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Server-2011/SFT0108/

priced at £64.91.  They had some stock last night when I ordered but it's now showing out of stock first thing this morning.  For those of you that have purchased and received the product, does it come with a "Getting Started Guide".  What is inside the package.  I'm looking to start selling systems with this installed and don't really want to write an getting started manual when Microsoft have already done it.

Here in the UK there does seem to be a very long delay in the product being RTM and something appearing end users can purchase.  I have some trade accounts and even those distributors don't have stock.  I personally think that with the launch of Microsoft SBS Essentials 2011, Microsoft don't want to confuse people with 2 identical products but priced quite differently.  SBS Essentials 2011 is different underneath but only just.  For small businesses with less than 10 computers, it's quite a price hike to purchase it.

Anyway, all being well I'll have my copy shortly.

Regards

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:47 AM
  • What is inside the package.  I'm looking to start selling systems with this installed and don't really want to write an getting started manual when Microsoft have already done it.

There's a small two-page flyer: "Quick Start Guide" printed in tiny type. At my age, I needed a magnifying glass to help me read it. It contains a printed link to the online help pages for WHS 2011 (http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver2011). The "Getting Started" guide is there.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:44 AM
  • In the UK the best price I've found so far (dare I stay I think it's a mistake) is

http://www.cclonline.com/product/58706/CCQ-00128/Operating-Systems/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Server-2011/SFT0108/

priced at £64.91.  They had some stock last night when I ordered but it's now showing out of stock first thing this morning. 

Leonard

Thanks for posting that.

They now (did till I bought one)  show 10 available by the 28th

Still the same price so kudos to them for making a good US / GBP conversion.

David

Friday, May 27, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Given that price includes 20% VAT, the basic price is cheaper than here in the US - when have we ever see that before?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Would be nice to see it on MAPS .  I am aware that it's available on technet, but asides from having problems in getting it downloaded, technet is only for test purposes whereas MAPS is for internal use.  As it is now available to OEM's, I feel that it should be available on MAPS.
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:57 PM