How do I get DHCP service to run on Windows Home Server WHS? RRS feed

All replies

• I found an article that suggests that the firewall on the WHS is preventing queries from reaching the service.
    http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2008/04/10/how-to-get-dns-and-dhcp-working-on-a-windows-server-from-behind-the-windows-firewall.aspx

His comment was:

1. Add UDP ports 67 and 2535 to the Windows Firewall exceptions list on the DHCP server.

2. When you create a Windows Firewall exception for the DHCP protocol on a DHCP server, you must set the scope for the exception to Any computer including those on the Internet. If you leave it set to My network (subnet) only, all inbound DHCP Discover packets from client computers are dropped because the IP address of the packet is 0.0.0.0, which is not recognized by the computer as being part of the local subnet. This causes the DHCP process to fail and clients do not receive IP addresses.

I will try it tonight.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Did you get this working?
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Might be, you should not forget, where you are.
    These are forums provided by Microsoft, the same company, which made the the product and the EULA you wish to break.
    So the so called "academics" are very relevant here.

An alternative option for DHCP provided by WHS without violating the EULA can be found here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:35 AM