none
Strange Users RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently noticed some strange behavior from some users.  They are posting one-liner responses to questions across multiple (and often unrelated) forums.  The responses are often fairly innocuous, but if you stop and think about them, they're clearly nonsensical responses designed to look relevant.  Perhaps automated, perhaps manual.  Often they are duplicate responses in different forums.

Here are a list of users that I noticed today:

Claude Partridge Isidore Greenhouse manuel hubley Gale Turpin

I don't know why they are doing this, but if you look at their posting history, they seem highly suspect.

-jeff

Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:22 PM

Answers

•  

Append those to Mick N -- Trees' list.

Notice the spam link embedded in Claude's quote.  Strange choice of color.

<blockquote>
    <p>Hi, I'm developing an IE <a href="http://www.ojosoft.com/how-to-convert/dvr-ms-to-mpeg-converter.html" style="color:#333; text-decoration:none">
    extension</a>. I need to call my extension's method from Javascript. For some reasons, I must call window.MyMethod() in the Javascript code.</p>
    <p>I know the best methd to solve the similar problem is to create a new ActiveX object to call the BHO method. BUt in this method, I need to use window.myBHOObject.DoSomething().</p>
    <p>Does anybody know how to add extern window object&nbsp;method, so I can use window.MyMethod() in the javascript to call the method in the BHO?</p>
    <p>Thanks!</p>
    </blockquote>

I read-up on Search Engine Optimization ("SEO") exploitation and abuse after Mick's exposé .  Thanks Mick.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:14 PM
  • So does reporting something as abuse by clicking the "Report as Abuse" link actually do anything?  It seems like we have to come here and link directly to the post to get any sort of action.

I would happily volunteer to delete these posts and users if someone would give me the ability.  At least in the forums I read (IE).

Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:19 PM
  • So does reporting something as abuse by clicking the "Report as Abuse" link actually do anything?  It seems like we have to come here and link directly to the post to get any sort of action.

I would happily volunteer to delete these posts and users if someone would give me the ability.  At least in the forums I read (IE).

Yes, the "Report as Abuse" option flags it for the moderators. Yes, you should be nominated as a Moderator if you aren't one yet. Ping me for details about that.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:25 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:33 PM
  •  

Append those to Mick N -- Trees' list.

Notice the spam link embedded in Claude's quote.  Strange choice of color.

<blockquote>
    <p>Hi, I'm developing an IE <a href="http://www.ojosoft.com/how-to-convert/dvr-ms-to-mpeg-converter.html" style="color:#333; text-decoration:none">
    extension</a>. I need to call my extension's method from Javascript. For some reasons, I must call window.MyMethod() in the Javascript code.</p>
    <p>I know the best methd to solve the similar problem is to create a new ActiveX object to call the BHO method. BUt in this method, I need to use window.myBHOObject.DoSomething().</p>
    <p>Does anybody know how to add extern window object&nbsp;method, so I can use window.MyMethod() in the javascript to call the method in the BHO?</p>
    <p>Thanks!</p>
    </blockquote>

I read-up on Search Engine Optimization ("SEO") exploitation and abuse after Mick's exposé .  Thanks Mick.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:14 PM

Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:19 PM

Yes, the "Report as Abuse" option flags it for the moderators. Yes, you should be nominated as a Moderator if you aren't one yet. Ping me for details about that.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:25 PM
    Owner